Ford Ranger- Surge and Stall

Nephew’s Truck- 2000 Ford Ranger, 3.0 automatic. Says he drives it to work 40 miles, by the time he gets there engine is surging and dies as he parks it. Will not restart. After work it starts, drives the 40 miles home, surging and dieing repeats.No trouble light comes on.

Any suggestions as to possible cause and where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.

Are we supposed to guess about how it runs at idle? Or how it runs for the other 39 miles?

Sorry for the lack of information. It has been a while since I have requested information on this site. I didn’t think to ask all the pertinent questions of my nephew (long distance).I didn’t drive the truck so I don’t have first hand knowledge of the problem. He just said the surging started at the end of the 40 miles. I was just looking for ideas on possible causes such as EGR, coil pack. Something that would trigger surging after 40 mile trip.
Thanks for the help anyway.

If it truly only appears toward the end of the trip - and it, for example, idles perfectly smoothly on first start up then I’d be thinking about 3 things: 1) fuel system problem where fuel pump loses it under load after a period of time. This could just be a fuel filter. 2) Heat soaking of ignition parts - fine when cool but resistance increases with heat. 3) Air movement - either in or out - partially blocked intake or exhaust.

How has the nephew been about basic maintenance (plugs, wires, filters?)

After it stalls at the end of the trip will it start right back up? Or about how long would one have to wait?

Cigroller
Thank you very much for the info- I’ll pass it on to my nephew.
Thanks again.

I have a similar problem with my 95 Mitsubishi Mirage. I have checked the air filter, it’s clean. I have replaced fuel pump, tank and several filters. Mine seems to perform worse the longer the car has been on, and it too is good for the first 30-40 miles or 30-40 minutes. Mine also has a really loud fuel pump, which started after I replaced the fuel pump. The fuel tank was the last thing replaced, and the noise from the pump stopped completely for the first hour of driving, now it’s back to doing the same thing. It takes a few tries to start the car, and then once it’s started i have to keep pressure on the gas pedal for the first minute or so before I can let off. When I start the car, the exhaust system rattles. Friends have said they can smell fuel coming out the exhaust. I really want to get this thing fixed because I moving to alaska and have to sell it, but I don’t want to pass on a problem to someone else. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.