Ford F-150 2.7 EcoBoost discussion

@asemaster. Back in the old days when a family was limited to one vehicle, many of us had a passenger car and utility trailer on the occasion where we needed to haul lighter bulky items such as patio furniture. Back then, we didn’t hesitate to put a trailer hitch on a car. I am not sure I would want to do that with most of today’s cars.

@Triedaq You couldn’t do that in today’s cars even if you wanted to. The cars you’re thinking of have more in common with a pickup truck than modern day cars. I remember hauling dad’s new recliner home in the trunk of a Galaxie, the deck lid tied down, or seeing the springs of the Impala bottomed out because of the load of patio pavers in the back.

@asemaster. I would guess that today’s cars have hurt the U-HAUL trailer rental business. I rarely see a passenger car pulling a U-HAUL trailer today. Most of the time I see the U-Haul trucks towing the passenger car along.

I have a 2015 F150 4x4 with the 2.7 engine. I now have 34000 miles and have averaged 20.7 mpg for all those miles. I was stopped for speeding twice the first year I drove it. It has more power than I need with what I think is great mileage. The ride is smooth and quiet. I think it is a great truck. Get the 36 gallon tank,backup camera, 120 volt power supply, spray in bedliner, trailer package and enjoy the truck. It tows very well.

nothing new about building trucks and option packages.
most say the non turbo 3.3 is actually an ok performer
the turbo 2.7 is more fun
the 5.0 v8 is ok but not good on gas mileage
the turbo 3.5 is better for towing

I think the 17MPG I get with the 5.0 in my 4X4 is reasonable.
I ended up with the 5.0 due to initial cost when purchased in 2013.

I just purchased my 2018 2.7L EcoBoost about 3 weeks ago and I really like it. I dont haul anything or need it for a “work truck”. I got it because I’ve only ever owned trucks and that’s not gonna change. This is the first full size truck I’ve owned. My others have all been midsize trucks from the dakota, ranger, and 2 tacomas. I traded my 2017 tacoma in for the F-150 because the engine and transmission in the new tacomas are garbage. The full size and better engine is what I needed and it’s what I got. I was concerned about the 2.7 being too small but the truck has all the get up and go that I need. I recommend it to your friend but the best thing will be to test drive of course. Good luck!!

Just realized this post is a year old. Oops. Lol.

Year old thread so they have probably made a decision by now.