Ford Escape Noise

I have a 2008 Ford Escape, and today I noticed that while backing out of my driveway (downhill) as I pressed the brake pedal it made this grinding noise, but when I got out of the car I looked through the tires and the rotors and pads were fine. I did not get a chance to check the inner side of the rotor or pad yet. What else could this noise be if it’s not the brakes? It only makes this noise when I press the brake pedal which is why I thought it was the brakes. Any ideas?

You might be hearing are the brake pad wear indicators coming in contact with the rotors.

These indicator tabs can make all sorts of noises when the brakes are applied.

It sounds like you’re due for a brake inspection.

Tester

Has it been wet and rainy? How long has the car been sitting? Surface rust will form on rotors and drums within a very short period of time and in the first few applications of the brake will get ground off - and often make a grinding sound. I get this at the end of my own flat driveway pretty much any time it’s rained and the car has sat overnight - or even if the car has just sat a couple of days.

Yes I’m going to check the brakes again and see if there’s any rust. It was a rainy day when it made this noise but I never heard it before. Thanks guys