Ford Diesel Power Stroke...High Mileage a Concern?

I am thinking about purchasing a 2005 Ford F-250 Diesel 4WD. The asking price is a little under Kelley Blue Book. The only thing I am concerned with is the 92,000 miles on the truck (one owner/hwy miles). Someone told me that 92,000 miles on a 2-3 year old Power Stroke Diesel is like 30,000 miles on a 2-3 year old Gasoline engine. Other than the high mileage, the truck is in great shape. Should I be concerned about paying +$20K for a truck with 92,000 miles on it? --Thanks

Conventional wisdom is that mileage should be less of an issue on a diesel, although it seems like pickup truck diesels don’t quite have the reputation of extreme longevity that, say, Mercedes car diesels do. How well the truck was maintained will be much more important than how many miles it has on it, and with regular maintinence you should not worry at all about 92,000.

I understand that this diesel is same as used in school busses which pile up very high mileages. I would be more concerned with the rest of the truck.

While diesel engines are built to last longer than their gasoline burning counterparts, the same can’t be said for the rest of the truck. So make sure you get all of the non-engine components checked by your own independent mechanic before you sign on the dotted line. It wouldn’t hurt to get the engine checked too.

According to edmunds.com, the mileage adjustment takes $2143 off the price of a normal mileage version. You don’t tell us what cab type or trim level it is or what options are included. It’s not possible to give you a price without that information. BTW, $2143 should be about 10% of the truck’s value if it had 40,000 miles on it.