Why get a new truck?

We have a 1992 ford f250 3/4 ton pickup with only 265,000, that needs minor work to the tune of $1200 (u joints, trasmission sylonoid pack and transmission transponder) The local ford garage mechanic says it could be time, my mother says it is a danger. What’s the deal I thought this was like infancy miles in a diesel? Why shouldn’t we repair it and keep it going until the youngest of 6 leaves home?

Repair it. $1200 is meager if your considering purchase of a $30-$40k diesel truck to replace.

Why does mom think the truck is a danger? Is there something you haven’t told us?

just the miles 265,000 and it was once a farm truck owned by my father (whom she is divorced from) and the age 1992, she is willing to give me something towards a “new” truck, we are choosing between a 2002 Ford 150 Sport extended cab v6 with 100000 or a gmc 1997 116000 v8 extended cab (fit some of the smaller kiddos) . Somehow she feels these trucks have a longer life expectancy than the diesel ford

Why does mom think the truck is a danger? Is there something you haven’t told us?

No…that’s just the way Mom’s are. My wife wants me to get my daughter a new vehicle. She’s currently driving my 98 Pathfinder with 310k miles on it. It still runs and handles PERFECTLY. Doesn’t burn one drop of oil…starts the first time every time…Lack of knowledge makes you paranoid.

As long as the body and frame are OK you should be fine. You know how your Ford has been cared for. But what about the other trucks? I’d keep your F250 as long as your happy with it.