Followers falling off car

Sure, I know what a cam follower is…but falling off the car ???

I don’t see any amount of abnormal wear accounting for the followers falling off the car, unless of course they fell through the holes in the porous engine block.

And Subara’s!

That has got to be the most misspelled word on this forum.

Gee…I thought Catholic was spelled that way…LOL

Then I’m happy I could bridge the communication gap.

There was someone several months ago who had a question about installing (I am not kidding you) a CADILLAC converter on his Toyota 4-Runner.

My interpretation of the post and its title was that something had literally fallen “off the car”, literally “come off”. I never heard of a cam follower literally falling off the car. Perhaps I need to get out more.

Maybe the OP means ‘Flowers’ - http://www.fridgedoor.com/flpocarma6.html

…and maybe the answer is to much Bondo.

Saw that one coming :slight_smile:

I remember, as a lad, hearing mom vent about her woeful '78 Plymouth Volare, asking her, “Is it the Cadillac converter again?”

To which she responded, “What I would give for a @$*& Cadillac converter right now!”

…and pleasedodgevan drives a “Honder”.

My family moved to Maine when I was a kid, and my mother swears she saw a sign for a sale on winter jackets (at the most upscale department store in Portland): “Pakers on sale”.

Ash Labubbas,
Your followers, who fell off the Grand Marquis, have been treated in the Holy Saints O.R. and are ready for a pick up. Please, bring a bus to transport them in. No more parades with Followers on your Grand Marquis, ok?

Signed: The tired staff of Holy Saints O.R.

was that RX; no more parades, or charades? it is hard to tell, from the original following report.

Cam followers. No, trapped inside the engine.

You haven’t told us anything about the car. Cam followers can wear out for many reasons, mostly due to friction and heat caused by poor maintenance or engine age. Most of the maintenance issues relate to poor oil maintenance. Unfortunately, though, if the followers are wearing out due to lack of maintenance, other things will also also fail very soon.

Look at the cool animation on http://lrs.ed.uiuc.edu/students/hari1/ci335/3c.html . The red wheel is the follower, riding on the teardrop-shaped cam. If that wheel won’t turn freely because there’s no oil or if there is sludge or soot, it will heat up and fail.

It’s amazing what people put out on the internet, don’t you think? [9:49 PM updated link]

That “cool animation” doesn’t work. Try again.

Cool animation works great, has graphs of lift vs. angle, velocity vs. angle, and acceleration vs. angle.

NO, what hellokit is relating is the animation link posts to a url with an ineffective animation link. so… it don’t display!

This one is easy.

This is a fairly common problem. However, there are a few straight forward, relatively inexpensive fixes for it. Try having the Johnson rod bushings replaced as well as the carburetor pins. Only if the followers still loosen or continue falling from the vehicle should you consider renewing the muffler bearings. This is done only as a last resort, as it is the most expensive and time consuming.

More help!

I forgot to mention staying away from automatic car washes. Hand washing is preferable because of the lower water pressure. Speaking of water, I assume you added 4 ounces of distilled water to the windshield washer reservoir. Also, I am sure that you have followed manufacturer recommendations for spark plug rotation.

Everybody reading this should also benefit from a little reminder. Since the weather is now warming, it is that time of year to change the air in your tires. This has been a harsh winter. Don’t bother with the spare. It has been safe and sound in the trunk. I hope this helps. Have a nice day!