Flaky tire pressure indicator

Good point. There’s a lot mysteries in the field of car repair.

The sensor has a battery, right? That means a connection between the two. I was thinking the battery could’ve been loose and gotten jarred back into place. Never actually seen one of those gizmos so I don’t know if that’s possible.

During the previous trip a valid signal was received from the sensor in question, the fault was no longer “current”, changed to “history”. This is temporary, if that sensor fails to transmit on a future trip for a certain number of miles, the fault will set again.

Last week a 2013 Lexus was in for maintenance, the tire pressure warning light was flashing but the owner did not complain about this.

The fault was C2124; No signal received from transmitter # 4, also sensor # 1 was taking 5 minutes to send a signal. I recommended 2 new sensors; customer declined the repair. After two hours in the shop the sensors warmed, when I drove the car out, no warning light and all four pressures were displayed on the dash.

1 Like

Ah, the light dawns. That actually makes sense, even to me.

On my 2013 Camry the TPMS light will start to blink after about 2 hours on the road. I know new sensors are in my future, but not until I replace the tires.

1 Like

Oh I suppose that’s possible (though highly unlikely) but since the TPMS sensor is a sealed unit that is not serviceable and is replaced as an assembly, the end result is the same, that TPMS sensor needs to be replaced.

I made my first visit to Costco, larger variety of goods, but not impressed with prices yet. Perhaps next month when less crowded and have more time to compare prices with other big box stores.

I’m not particularly impressed with their pricing either. For a household with 2 teenagers (one of which is likely to have half a baseball team over at any time) their products and sizes are convenient and fairly priced, but nothing I would rave about.

We had a $150 Visa rewards certificate good for in-store credit, so I went there this week to get our Christmas prime rib roast (among other things). Today I was at Fred Meyer (Kroger) getting some last minute items and saw that they had a trimmed standing rib roast for half the price of Costco.

Also the line at the Fred Meyer gas station wasn’t as long.

As I mentioned, there won’t be a CostCo near us until at least some time next year and our Sam’s membership is expired. I went back to CarX where I bought my tires. I figure they’re probably as cheap as anyplace that isn’t a membership operation.

Ours just opened two weeks ago, in October I decided to roll the dice and join. It’s about 15 miles away. Obviously I will be going back. So far not impressed with their online shopping either.

Once it’s built the new CostCo will be maybe a mile and a half from us. A number of small businesses, mostly Asian owned, were forced to close or move, but that’s a whole 'nother issue. Haven’t decided whether I’ll check it out or not. My wife and I don’t have much need to buy stuff in bulk.

You don’t need to buy stuff in bulk. I go there once each week to buy my salad greens, blueberries, cherry tomatoes, yogurt, half & half, and a few other staple items in the same sizes that are sold at my local supermarket. The only difference is that Costco’s prices are consistently 20% less than at the supermarket. On some other items–like detergents, paper goods, prescription drugs, fish, nuts, Balsamic Vinegar, Extra-Virgin Olive oil, vitamins, and pain relievers–the price differential is even larger.

But, I digress from the intended automotive nature of this forum. After doing a load test on my battery, I decided that I needed to replace it a.s.a.p. Autozone’s Duralast Gold battery was $189, while the comparable Interstate battery (both 550 CCA, both made by Johnson Controls) at Costco was selling for $99, albeit with a longer warranty. Can you guess which one I bought?

I have to say, I like the Costco customer service, when it comes to battery replacement

They don’t ask for the receipt

All they do is scan your membership card and ask which of your cars you installed it on . . . and then they give you a new battery, as long as it’s in the free replacement period

They don’t tell you they have to test or charge it first . . . which some other places do

When you need a battery, you need it right then and there, no testing, no charging, etc.

The downside is that the costco employees don’t install batteries for the customer, something that autozone employees obviously do

I told my brother that he needs tpms sensors installed, the last time he got tires at costco they just installed them along with the new tires. It wasn’t a big deal.

1 Like