Fit vs. Yaris

Hell Car Talk Community! I’m in the market for a new (to me) car. I really like smaller cars (high MPG, low pain in the butt) so I’m thinking along the lines of a 4 dr hatchback. I actually used to own a 2005 Golf TDI that I LOVED, but alas I had to sell and have been carless for the last 3.5 years. Looking to get back into a similar car, but not the same.

I am thinking either Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris, and I definitely want to spend less that 10K. That being said, I’d still like some comfort and options, which makes me think I’ll be looking for 2007-2008 range. Does anyone have any good data about these two cars? Reliability, value, etc…?

Or, does anyone have a better recommendation? Something that I should be looking at instead? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

For $10k used car I’d look at the Hyundai Sonata – a lot more comfort and options than either the Fit or Yaris. The Fit and Yaris are OK for short around town commuting, but I would not want to spend hours driving one on a road trip.

Twotone

Does the Sonata come in a hatchback option? I’m kind of set on the 4dr hatchback…

I have a 2007 Fit Sport that I can’t say enough good things about. Mine gets in the mid 30s on gas mileage, and so far the build quality has been great. For a small car, you can carry an unbelieveable amount of stuff in it. I’m 6’2", and I can fit into it just fine as well. I tell all my friends in the market for a car about the Fit and would encourage you to give one a shot. Good luck.

I like the Toyota Echo but you probably won’t find a good enough one for under $10,000. You may be able to get a new Yaris sedan for $15,000. I haven’t seen the prices in a while. The Fit may be more comfortable.

You need to buy a copy of the Consumer Reports Used Car Buyers Guide, which features reviews and historical reliability info on whatever is available on the used car market in the US.

That being said, I don’t think that you will be impressed by what they have to say about the Yaris.
With the exception of reliability, the Fit has it beat in virtually every category.

However, I really think that you should read the full CR report on both of those cars, as well as on the Hyundai Accent and the Nissan Versa.

I’m struggling with the $10K limit unless you don’t consider a new Fit/Yaris. Even though cheap new, these cars in these times hold their value well enough to make it tougher to get your money’s worth. I would include a used Ford Focus in your search. Because it hasn’t been change for years, even a used will perform about as well as a new one. That’s my standby recommendation for people looking for a well regard car with solid reliability but very limited funds.

Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Pontiac Vibe

Good luck finding a Fit for less than $10,000. You might find a stripped 2007 Yaris for under $10,000. I think that you should avoid Honda and Toyota as used cars because they retain their value so well. That’s great for the seller, but bad for you. Find something unpopular, or pay the price. A 2007 Chevy Cobalt LT will be $1000 to $2000 less than a comparably equipped Fit or Yaris. It gets 21/29 MPG. The Yaris gets 29/35 and the fit gets 27/35. It will take at least 70,000 miles to make up the difference in initial cost with gas savings. Reliability for the 2007 Cobalt is excellent. A similar case can be made for the Focus.

I was just reading that the European Ford Fiesta will be sold this spring…a Fit size car. Still out of your reach at $10K, but may be closer than Fit.

+1 on the Ford Focus. A friend has bought a couple of these in the past and they seem to be great cars with lousy resale value, which is good for people buying used. You can easily find a late model within your price range, especially if you get one with a manual transmission.

If you are looking for comfort, make sure you take both the Yaris and the Fit for extended test drives. These cars are marketed towards young people, so they tend to have a stiff sporty suspension. You may have a hard time finding a comfortable small hatchback from the selection currently out there. You might have to go larger or shop the competition. Make sure you check out the Ford Focus, which is just about as good a car as the Yaris and the Fit.

I own an '08 manual Fit Sport and I love it. I test drove both the Fit and the Yaris. I didn’t like the Yaris, mostly because of its numb road feel. I love the Fit’s back seat configurability.

Fit vs Yaris - no contest, the Fit by a country mile. Good luck finding one under $10K. I’d expect a Fit to last, perhaps you should spring for a new one and plan to keep it for lots and lots of years.

“Good luck finding one under $10K.”

Is there an echo in here? :wink:

That’s a good point about buying new. I bought my Civic new, and now that it is still going after 12 years and 189,000 miles, I am glad to know it has been taken care of properly since day one. If I can make it last for another 111,000 miles, I think I can justify the cost of another new car when the time comes.

For the brand new car odor, Nissan sells the Versa 4 door for $9,990. If you must have a hatch (I would too), Fit > Yaris, in terms of dynamics, road feel, and interior room. A used Versa hatch may also fit your budget and it is huge inside. You can literally put 5 reasonably size adults in there without stretching anyone’s patience