Filter issues

I was just yanking db4690’s chain a little bit , probably in bad taste , certainly didn’t mean to offend . Before I sold out & retired I owned 3 companies . I know how companies charge . I couldn’t afford myself back then .
I’ll add , I always told the people doing estimates for me to figure up what it would cost to do a job , double that figure & then add 40% & if we were lucky we’d make a little money .

Yeah, I figured you were hanging the bait out to see if you’d get a bite…

I was just wondering how anyone could determine a new fuel filter was "needed" other than looking at the mileage, which wouldn't particularly accurate in assessing the filter's condition.

If it’s an in-line filter and never been changed…you could probably see the dirt in it. That’s one reason why they are usually clear.

OK, didn’t realize that some are clear and a visual inspection could indicate need for replacement. If memory serves, my Blazer’s has a metal case so you couldn’t see anything.

@boilerengtn , good question , I’d imagine a fuel pressure test at different rpm’s might detect the need of a filter replacement but I’ve never heard of that being done unless a problem existed that dictated the necessity . I imagine it’s just part of routine maintenance .

Personally I’d NEVER wait til the filter is in need of replacing…I’d replace it long before that. When you have visible signs it needs replacing…it can cause some serious problems.

I have never seen a clear fuel filter on a high pressure fuel system, they are usually metal or black plastic.

There are fuel line adapters that can be attached before and after the filter to monitor fuel pressure drop, such testing has been required for warranty repairs but is impractical on a vehicle like this. The labor for this filter is 18 minutes, you can expect to pay 1 hour labor to test it.

“10 minutes . . . in theory only
$5 filter . . . no offense, but that doesn’t sound like very high quality to me, even if you’re getting a bulk discount”

+1 to db4690’s comment.
10 minutes?
Ummm…not bloody likely, as they say in England.
One of my favorite sayings (which I coined, actually) is…
Everything always takes longer than you think it will

Whether it is driving from point A to point B, or preparing dinner, or mowing the lawn, or changing a fuel filter, everything inevitably takes more time than you think it will–if you are taking care to do it properly.

And, a $5.00 filter?
To me, that means a White Box filter from China.
No thanks!

I apologize for being a smart a$$ earlier in the thread . Curiosity won out & I thought the OP might find this helpful . This is an 04 but according to what I read an 03 is the same .

@boilerengtn you could indeed use a differential pressure sensor as an indicator of a clogged fuel filter but cars don’t generally have pressure sensors before and after the filter.

I suppose you could use software to detect it; As it clogs the fuel pressure drops, the ECU reads a lean fuel condition and increases dwell time on the injectors while the ECU “learns” the new requirements and compensates by increasing the dwell time for all injection events. As it clogs further, wide-open throttle fuel flow restricts more than idle so only the high speed dwell times increase and the ECU says “a-Ha” and sends a change fuel filter message to the driver info center.

Or you could just change it a preset mileage because its only a $5 filter hanging under the car! :smile:

@Mustangman my primary question was whether the shop knows something I don’t or if they just look at the odometer like I can. For the labor and cost, no great measures really are needed to optimize filter change intervals.

I believe you have the self-flushing filter as described my Mike that does not need replacement.
And if it did… aren’t these the same guys that took two tries and an apology to get the drain plug out? Are you sure you’d want it done there??

Why did the shop say the fuel filter needed replacement? Or didn’t they provide a reason?

Usually external fuel filters are recommended to be replaced in the 50 k to 100 k range. I think my old VW Rabbit was spec’d at 60 K. But I had to replace it more frequently than that due to having a lot of grit-contaminated gas in the area gas stations where I lived at the time.

I don’t think a replacement interval is even spec’d on my Corolla though; I guess you just replace it if there is a suspected problem, like low fuel pressure. I replaced it at about 150 K, not for any particular reason, just that I thought it was time and an emissions test was scheduled and I wanted the fuel system to be in peak operating order. The replacement had no effect, good or bad. Well, bad to my wallet …lol

Well about that video. I have changed a great many fuel filters and cut several open when I suspected contaminated fuel but never saw one that had turned yellow filter paper as black as coal. Dust like black solids are often trapped and become a dark slurry that stains the paper black but not totally black over every square inch. But then I don’t recall ever opening a fuel filter and finding black paper.

There is zero chance I would have them do it, with the issues with the oil plug and not offering me a free oil change given the issues.

As for the gas filter they said the filter was rusting and should be replaced. I am taking my car in to my local place who couldn’t or I should say wouldn’t remove the oil plug as it was so tight they said I should take it back to Goodyear for some other issues to be fixed and will have them check the fuel filter.

@brm7675

“filter was rusting”

Please post some pictures of the rusty filter, after it’s been replaced

It would be terrible, if it rusted through, and the car didn’t start, or you had a fire . . . :fearful:

33 replies and no one has suggested to the OP to look in the maintenance schedule of the owners manual to see if it is a replacement item. Personally, unless it is listed as a maintenance item, I’d leave it alone. Mess with it or let someone else mess with it and you’ll be back here soon with another problem.

Did the shop use a torque wrench on the drain bolt this time?

@keithg1961

I just looked at the owner’s manual online, and there’s no fuel filter mentioned in the maintenance schedule

But we all know that owner’s manuals in general often omits some things. Such as the need to change your atf at all. Or changing your brake fluid. The list goes on and on

That said, the filter looks like this, regardless of 3.4 or 3.8

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=91154&cc=1410444&jnid=508&jpid=12

In light of the appearance, which to me implies it’s not a major ordeal to replace, you would still leave it alone . . .?

What if that rust is worse than just normal surface oxidation?

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

After watching the video & seeing how simple it is to change this particular filter , I’d change it . I know that some of them are difficult to get to & change . I don’t see why changing this one would likely cause future problems . I change the ones in my vehicles when I do routine tune ups . I think the one in the jeep I’m working on now is in the tank so I won’t be changing it unless I have to .