Got my oil change at valvoline

got full synthetic with no questions or gripes from service rep. everything went smoothly except a bit too much residual flow from oil filter which i wiped up. otherwise i think i am going to stick with valvoline from now on as i used to for my oil changes.

That first photo would convince me not to go there.

7 Likes

Yeah I use Mobil 1. Just put my Honda oem filter and new washer out as a reminder I need to change oil. I like blue filters instead of white though. Couple years worth of oil on the shelf so hope it doesn’t go bad. I’ll have to check with myself to see when I can fit it in.

Agree with @texases. It looks to me like they either didn’t actually change the filter. They did at least loosen it. The alternative is tat they may have double gasketed the filter and had to remove it to get the extra gasket off or they put it on so tight and/or they did not oil the gasket first so that they tore the gasket and it is leaking.

Better check that filter daily for awhile. Also check your oil level daily for awhile.

4 Likes

I was wondering how they got the new filter covered with dirty old oil.

1 Like

no they changed it my last filter was orange. that was when i inspected after oil change. the clean pic is after wipe down by myself

You may still have a problem, better check daily for awhile, few days anyway. If it stays clean, OK. If it doesn’t, take it back and have them put a new filter on correctly and add makeup oil.

BTW, if it is double gasketed, you can have a sudden and catastrophic oil pressure loss and it can evacuate all the oil in your engine in just seconds.

If you get a red oil light, stop immediately or you will destroy your engine. I was with a friend who had this happen to him. He was lucky that he stopped immediately. In his case, it happened minutes after changing his oil and he was doing a test drive.

2 Likes

If the oil filter is not properly tightened, it will leak when cold, then stop leaking as the oil gets warm. Check if the filter is tight and for leaks in the morning.

How do you think all that old dirty oil got there?

not sure but i just checked again after driving around again. its still clean. it was dirty too from my last oil change from walmart so i figured based on experience it happens.

first inspection was around noon. i just checked again a few minutes ago so its been over two hours. its staying clean.

The only way I can see that happening that is not due to something I said earlier is that they removed the old filter and spun on the new one before the oil even had a chance to drain from the line between the oil pump and the filter adapter. The old oil was still draining as the new filter was being spun on. That would be one quick “quick oil change dude”.

2 Likes

When I change oil, I let the filter base drip a little while I do other things. Then I always clean the base of old oil before putting the new filter on, then wiping the filter again after it’s on. I suppose if you are in a hurry and just slap the new filter on right away, old oil could drip around the new filter. Just a guess.

1 Like

Just the mark of a sloppy job, in my opinion. When I worked at a gas station/garage (Sohio), the filter was clean when the car got off the lift.

1 Like

More than likely the tech got oil all over their hand while removing the old filter, and spun the new filter on without wiping off their hand.

Remember, this is a quick lube place.

Tester

Enough of the old oil will drain out so it wouldn’t be a problem that they spun on a new filter right after taking off the old one.

If you pay $44 for reg oil change or $94 for syn oil change, why would service writer give a care? It’s your money.

I want syn oil change. Tech says ok?

Apparently you missed the conversation where the OP went to a shop where the service writer informed him the car did not require synthetic oil. The OP thought the shop was incompetent for recommending factory spec oil.

2 Likes

I do my own oil/filter changes, driveway diy’er. I’ll sometimes see a little oil leaking down the side of the new filter after the change, appears to come from the oil that coats the nearby surfaces when removing the old filter. Impossible to prevent. I just wipe any oil off the new filter as part of inspecting for oil leaks afterward, when running the engine. . I’ve never seen that much, though I usually let it drip for 30 minutes before installing the new filter, so maybe why… Suggest to continue to monitor the situation to make sure the filter hasn’t worked loose, and the leaking is completely stopped. Good for you for looking for leaks after the change btw.

I’m with Tester and texases, a quicky job at a quicky lube place.

I understand convienience and speed but when it comes to a $20,000+ car, I’d rather my mechanic take a few extra minutes to do the job professionally.

To be fair to the mechanic, an oil change doesn’t take more than 10 minutes.