Fatherly advice, please

I second gspagtop’s suggestions. I will only add, again, that you get estimates for the timing belt/waterpump from the dealer and at least two independent mechanics. Be sure to ask the independents how many Honda timing belts they have replaced. Honda’s can be a bit tricky and require special tools to be done right. The $1000 part of the gift should cover it.

If you are working now and the best estimate is a little higher than what you can afford right now, you can wait at least two to three more months before replacing the belt. Belts almost always break in cold weather, that’s when they are most brittle. But this belt was made for 7 years or 105k miles and you are way overdue on miles.

More brilliant ideas/suggestions/takes on the subject.

I needed clarity as to what to prioritize and am too stressed to think clearly.

Many thanks to ALL who wrote.

Bless you.

Pulling the fuse on the ABS is free :slight_smile:

Agree, go to independent shop for repairs. You should find and fix the exhaust leak, could be the manifold gasket.

Spark plugs, likely recommending based on time. If the motor is running smoothly they can wait.

Valve cover gasket seals, means some oil might be getting into spark plug holes. The may or may not be a significant problem. If car is running smoothly, this can wait.

New air filter cover. All Honda’s have this problem, you drill out the old screw and replace it with a new sheet metal screw. Any decent handyman can do this, for like $5.00.

New drive belts, are they screeching? Do you plan on taking long highway trips? This can wait until you get a job and build up your bank account.

New timing belt, if it breaks the car is shot. In this car the motor is damaged beyond reasonable repair costs if the belt breaks. But, you got the car for free and the belt could last another 50K miles. This is really your biggest decision. In a '93 car with 200K miles I’d be tempted to just let it go and gamble. Because the other big unknown is that auto transmission. If that goes the repair costs mean the car is likely heading to the crusher.