Factory Alarm on 2000 Honda Accord goes off at random times

The factory ‘Security System’ aka alarm, in my 2000 Honda Accord EX goes off randomly. When this happens the horn sounds and lights flash for several minutes at a time. This can happen several times in one day and then not happen again for days or weeks. The owner’s manual says that the security system is activated when the doors are locked and will sound an alarm if a passenger door, trunk lid or hood are opened while the system is activated. The system is deactivated by using either a key or the remote transmitter to unlock the doors. My mechanic tried to disable the hood latch switch, but this caused the alarm to sound continuously. Does anyone know how to fix the problem or disable the security system? Thanks

Mine goes off when I accidentally hit the “Panic” button on the remote, usually when it is in my pocket!

Usually alarms will not arm if a door or hood is open. Perhaps disconnect* the hood switch so the alarm thinks it is always open. That may disable it until you can get it fixed properly.

*Switches usually have connectors on them so all you have to do is disconnect the connector.

Remove the “alarm” fuse…

I don’t know much about car alarms but had some experience with commercial security systems. As mleich suggests try to eliminate any other possible causes for the alarm going off, like someone actually trying to open the car. I once lived in an apartment that had four bars on the ground floor. One catered to bikers. The open piped Harleys running down the street almost always set off a couple of car alarms. Alarm circuits are often closed loop. Opening the circuit sets them off. If your mechanic just disconnected the hood switch this might explain why the alarm activated. Some systems use both open and closed loops. To track down obscure sources of false alarms we used a latching continuity tester. An intermittent open or closed circuit would set an indicator light on the tester. Usually it was the only way to isolate a problem component.