Extended Warranty wanting to install high mileage engine

It’s already resolved so it’s irrelevant, but contacting the BBB is useless. They don’t call the BBB Better for Businesses Bureau for nothing

Well, you did say this up top-

Later, you clarify-

Glad to see it worked out for you in the end. I have a couple of friends that are extremely diligent about the care and maintenance of their vehicles. Several times I have seen them get burned because the system is designed to compensate for typical use and condition. Both of them lost vehicles before their time and really got nothing in return for exemplary care. Those experiences have caused them to dial back a bit on the level of care although they still outpace me by a mile :grin:

If i could get a brand new motor from them. Why not? Who wouldn’t have? I probably would have taken it over trading truck to dealer. I loved that truck.

Of course you would. So would anybody. But it appeared as if you expected it in the beginning. Unfortunately, people tend to latch onto those posts and sometimes perceptions do not evolve with the discussion…

Based on my original post. Where in the world are you seeing I “expected a new motor” as you are assuming? You are just trying to read what you WANT to read. Not what is written…that’s where things get twisted and turned to fit someone else’s “narrative”…Original posts simply asks about should it be considered “similar condition” as they do not have service records, as they forced me to show. So they do not know the actual condition of the motor they are offering. Thus. Can it really be considered “similar condition”…you are trying to change MY post to fit YOUR narrative.

jjones , relax . Threads on forums some times take on a life of their own that has nothing to do with the original thought . After many posts people add to the thread without reading all of the posts . No need to take it personal and just ignore the replies . If you have your notifications set to let you know when a reply is made do like I do . I set mine to no notifications .

You want a used engine with service records, not going to happen and consider yourself lucky the the company that issued your third party warranty is still in business, Many of them are not. When people junk cars they don’t give service records to the tow truck driver and if they did, he would just throw them out.
Your service contract says nothing about service records except that YOU have to keep them.

Dude, calm down and READ my post. They are QUOTES. I posted what YOU WROTE. It doesn’t take any “narrative” to read what YOU wrote.

Posted again for those too hard headed to see-

if I can make them pay for a brand new reman’d motor. I will, and keep the truck.

If I can MAKE them pay for a new reman’d motor. I had some sympathy for you before but it appears it was foolish on my part…

1 Like

Lol. Plain ignorance there. Original post is questioning if a “similar” engine would be one considered without a service history, which my motor has a service history for its entire life. Of course if I can make them buy me a new one, based on the fact they aren’t holding their of the deal of being “like condition”. Yes I will. So I was asking opinions if it should be considered “like condition” based solely ins device history. You, again are trying to twist things to fit your narrative that I EXPECTED a new engine from the beginning.

Well if you didn’t expect a new, like new, or similar condition engine from the get-go, then why are you on here complaining? You’re now claiming you didn’t expect a new engine. They’re giving you an engine that is not new. What is the problem here?

Did that language (new/like new/similar condition) refer to YOUR engine or THEIRs?

If it referred to your engine, then unless there’s language elsewhere that specifies what engine they will give you to replace yours, then you takes what you gets and next time stop spending a bunch of money trying to warranty an ancient truck if you aren’t going to be satisfied with the results.

I’m frankly amazed they’re giving you anything, because any company warrantying something with more than 150k on it that actually intends to pay out in the event of failure is seemingly setting themselves up for bankruptcy.

What I EXPECTED was a motor in similar condition prior to failure. A motor that was not maintained is not a similar condition motor to what I had… the language in warranty “new/like new/similar”. Well if you can’t figure that out. I don’t know what to tell you…”new” and “like new” would refer to THEIR engine. “Similar condition” would refer to MY engine. So that’s a 2 part answer. Confusing for you. I know.

The warranty was put on the truck with around 85,000 miles…100,000 miles/60 months. So ya. End of warranty but sucks they have to put a motor in it.

Regardless what your opinion is, the truck is getting the 155k motor and is already transferred ownership to the dealer thought I got my new truck from. As stated in a prior post. Guess what…I bought an extended warranty on it too :). 120k/60 months. So maybe I’ll see you on here complaining around that time if this one fails too.

I think you’re interpreting that incorrectly. If those three phrases were in the same sentence, they refer to the same engine. Either yours or theirs, but not “whichever engine would be best for my outcome on a word by word basis.”

Maybe, but I don’t tend to help people who act like jerks, and you’ve been busily implying that everyone who doesn’t immediately take up your battle flag is a moron, so you won’t get any joy with me next time either. Go whine somewhere else.

3 Likes

Okay, let’s beat this dead horse some more.

I get it. The used engine the warranty company wanted to give you free of charge didn’t come with maintenance records. I understand why that irks you, you’re one of those fastidious car owners who files every service invoice and might even keep a notebook where all the maintenance is logged.

Having said that, here is where you’re running into problems:

What really matters is the condition of the engine, and that can be objectively evaluated directly without using the maintenance records. In fact, direct observation is better than relying on maintenance records.

So what’s the best solution for someone in your situation who hasn’t already resolved the issue? Either jack up the car and get all in there, looking for signs of abuse or neglect, or hiring someone to do the same. Pretend you’re getting a pre-purchase inspection on a used car and check everything out. You might even go so far as to remove the spark plugs and inspect the insides of the cylinders using a fiber optic camera, if you can get your hands on one.

Of course this all a moot point for you; you’ve reached a resolution with which you’re happy. Good deal. If someone else should come along who finds herself or himself in that situation, I suggest that person let go of their obsession with maintenance records and focus on evaluating the actual condition of the replacement engine.

3 Likes

You can NOT get a good evaluation of an engine by just looking at it. At a minimum a compression test and possibly dropping the oil pan which I seriously doubt was ever done. I know of no salvage yard that does any kind of tests on the engines they sell. If the engine was running when it came it then that is the only determination a salvage yard makes if the engine is good or not.

I suppose, in that case, it’s a good thing I used terms like “objectively evaluated” and “direct observation” rather than “by looking at it.”

I’m not sure what made you want to contradict things I didn’t actually say, but if you want to know what I mean by “objectively evaluated” and “direct observation,” I recommend you read Tom and Ray Magliozzi’s book How to buy a Great Used Car: Secrets Only Your Mechanic Knows. It is a great guide for evaluating a used car, or a used engine, and is a lot closer to what I actually recommend than “just looking at it.”

I have read it…and evaluating a car that has a running engine is a lot different then evaluating a used engine from a salvage yard.

captain obvious 3

Then why do you have such a problem with the concept?

1 Like

I have no problem with the concept. You’re preaching to the choir about things I never said.

I remember years ago seeing used engines available in the J.C. Whitney catalog. The engines were guaranteed not to have a cracked block and not to have excessive oil consumption. I thought about purchasing an engine for my 1947 Pontiac that I found had a cracked block around a valve seat (This was a flat head engine with the valves in the block). However, I managed to fix the problem with K & W seal. I ran the car for six months with no problem and then moved on. The old Pontiac was still on the streets two years later and I doubt that anyone replaced the engine.
The car was 15 years old and I purchased it for $75.
Engine swaps used to be easier in the old days. Even with remanufactured engines available from Sears, Montgomery Ward, and many other places, most people just moved on to a another vehicle instead of replacing the engine.