Extended Warranty wanting to install high mileage engine

A 108,000 mile engine has almost 50% less miles than a 155,000 mile engine, and for a cost difference of only $600, I cannot see why taking the higher-mileage engine would make sense. Also, since the original engine did not make it to 200,000 miles, it is highly probable that the useful life of this type of engine is less than that.

If we assume, for the sake of argument, that the useful life of this type of engine is 160,000 miles, the 108,000 mile engine still has 52,000 miles left in it; the 155,000 mile engine has only 5,000 miles left in it. For a paltry $600, this truck could be driven another 3-4 years at the current rate of mileage accumulation. Thatā€™s a real bargain if you ask me!

every junk yard motor has 60k miles. wink wink
would not surprise me if they had 1 used motor and will adjust price based on your willingness to pay more/less.

1 Like

@bcohen2010. I think itā€™s rather uncommon for an oil pump to give out. Had this not happened, the original engine might have lasted well over 200,000 miles. I donā€™t think that most engines today have a life of only 160 ,000 miles.
My point is that there are other components in the truck that may be near the end of its life. The transmission may be close to being worn out. Other parts of the drivetrain may not have a lot of service left.
A used engine is an unknown quantity. The engine with 155,000 miles might have been maintained better than one with 108,000 miles. I believe the OP decided to work out a deal replacing the engine with the 155,000 mile engine and traded the truck.

1 Like

So the replacement engine has fewer miles than the one theyā€™re replacing?

Sounds like theyā€™re fulfilling their end of the bargain.

That isnā€™t a warranty that is a jokeā€¦ Does the warranty state they can install used parts to repair your car? And if so does it state they can install parts that have the majority of their useful life already past? If you paid a lot of money for that warranty you got taken. I wish you luckā€¦

Itā€™s in the very first post!

Similar condition before failureā€¦

Good luck finding a warranty that puts in new engines. There would be a lot of mysterious failures just before the warranty expiredā€¦

2 Likes

Do you know anyone whoā€™d do that? Actually thinking about it - everyone I know would do that. :smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™m imagining a line outside the chemical supply store with everyone wanting to buy soldium silicate
:roll_eyes:

Letā€™s bring theology into this discussion.
Matthew 9:17. "One does not put new wine in old wineskins. . "
The message is clear: the old wineskins will burst.
For the same reason, it makes no sense to put a new engine in a 10 year old vehicle with 180,000 miles on the odometer. Just as the old wineskins may burst, the transmission may go out in the old vehicle once a new engine is installed. The front suspension parts may be worn. The differential may begin to howl.
When I drove old vehicles, I bought parts from salvage yards unless new or rebuilt parts cost little more. I had a 1947 Pontiac with a cracked engine block. The car was 15 years old and I paid $75 for the car. Fortunately, a can of K&W seal solved the problem. I certainly wouldnā€™t put a new engine in this vehicle. While the body was greatā€“absolutely no rust, the transmission howled in first gear. It wasnā€™t a classic. I am sure the extended warranty company feels the same way.

2 Likes

This is common with service contracts, they will sometimes supply a used engine, transmission or rack and pinion.

When a customer hits a curb and damages the suspension their insurance company will ask us to install used parts. Service contracts are no worse than insurance companies with respect to cutting costs on parts, I never had a service contract company ask me to install used ball joints and control arms.

1 Like

I kinda agree. Similar condition before failure is an engine with 180K on it maybe just ready to lose an oil pump. Take the free engine and see how it is during the 90 days. Pull the pan before installing to look at the bearings and maybe the valve covers to see if the engine has been reasonably maintained. If really bad you can argue it is not similar condition. The thing made it to 150K so they must have done something right.

Last weekend the OP picked out a $32,000 truck, seems that money is no object after all.

Money was never the issue. The issue was should I consider their engine they are providing as ā€œsimilar conditionā€ even though they had no records on the motor they were sending. I definitely would have preferred a brand new motor, who wouldnā€™t, but had they had records on the condition of the motor being maintained properly, I wouldnā€™t have air red til we. But I just donā€™t consider a motor that was unknowingly maintained or not, a ā€œsimilar conditionā€ motor. Thatā€™s all. We told them to slap in the 155k motor at their expense and traded truck into dealer. Gave me 10k for it. So not to bad.

2 Likes

Some times you just have to compromise to get resolution of something that isnā€™t going to ever be clear one way or the other. Negotiating a deal where the discomfort is balanced on both sides is the goal. It ainā€™t easy. Try negotiating a divorce settlement.

Agreed. I was going to negotiate the 81k mike motor as a ā€œfreeā€ motor honestly. We just didnā€™t see the logic in spending any extra money for a motor, when the rest of the truck was at 184k miles. Didnt make financial sense. As stated by another posted. Tranny goes next, then what? Drop another 2/3k to fix it. Etc etc. would be a never ending loop at that point.

Very happy with my new-to-me 18 F-150 so far. Ordered some customizations for it Iā€™m waiting on. Hopefully start installing them this weekend.

Have you contacted the Insurance Commissioner in your state? Might be too late, but the State Insurance Commissioner usually oversees warranties. Might make sense to have your attorney review the contract and send a demand letter to the company.

P.S. AGWS does have a A+ BBB rating. You might want to contact BBB as well.

Youā€™re joking, right? AGWS offered a fair and reasonable solution, per the terms of the contract. The OP didnā€™t wish to put a dime into their 184k mile truck, but wanted AGWS to put a new or remanufactured engine into the truck, and then came here to complain when they offered to install a 155k mile working used engine instead.

In any case, since they sold the truck, any claim they might have had is finished.

4 Likes

A 108000 mile engine has almost 1/3 less miles than a 155000 engine,not 1/2.

I was not asking for a new or reman engine by any means. Re-read my post. I was simply asking, since AGWS states they have no record of the service life of the engine they were offering, would that be considered ā€œsimilar conditionā€. Letā€™s not start assuming thingsā€¦