Extended Warranty wanting to install high mileage engine

And as I said (which you conveniently ignored)…“That’s not happening.”

If the engine was running when it came it then that is the only determination a salvage yard makes if the engine is good or not.

Please show me the salvage that sells used engine that’s doing more then that. They don’t.

1 Like

I never suggested a salvage yard would perform this task. I recommended the end user hire a mechanic or inspect the engines themselves, inspecting the cylinder walls and looking for signs of leakage and other damage.

What is it with you anyway? Why must you look for something to argue about? I never suggested a salvage yard would perform this service, yet you act like I have.

Would you mind not trying to attributing to me stupid stuff I haven’t said?

…if that’s not too much to ask.

Really? How does that happen? Many times you’re buying an engine long distance (over 100 miles). I suggest you talk to a mechanic and see how things really happen.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=vehicle+inspection+services&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS821US821&oq=vehicle+inspection+services&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.5399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Again…you changed your argument to be about inspecting a vehicle. It’s about buying a used engine, and having it inspected before it’s installed. You’re a master at this.

1 Like

I’m a master at what, figuring out that I can likely hire a vehicle inspector to inspect just an engine without the rest of the car?

I’m not changing my argument, I’m just thinking it through logically. Why you are determined to seek out a reason to argue I’ll never understand.

You haven’t a clue. As I said…talk with a mechanic who’s done this kind of work. It’s not the way it’s done. Never has been. You just make things up to fit your argument.

1 Like

Okay, I just called one of the vehicle inspectors in my area, and he said he’d drive to a junk yard to inspect a used engine for a customer. He said he’d do it for his normal fee.

So what’s this argument supposed to be about again?

If and only if the engine can be found locally. And you’re changing your argument AGAIN.

Geez…it’s like debating my 11yo nephew.

1 Like

I haven’t changed my argument a single time, and I’ve stuck to debating the issue while you’ve made it personal. Nice.

If you had clicked the link I provided above, you’d have seen that there are nationwide providers of this service. The industry has grown due to online sales of used cars and used engines in regions other than the one in which the customer resides.

You say this debate reminds you of one with a child, but you seem to be contradicting me for the sake of contradicting me, in the face of easily-obtained evidence that what I say exists does exist, nationwide inspection service for used vehicles and used engines.

Instead of you two trying to have the last word . How about I have the last word .

Enough Already . Ok 2 words.

1 Like

I don’t give a damn about the last word. All I care about is not letting lies about what I’ve said stand unchallenged. If Mike would stop twisting my words into lies, I’d be happy to let him have the last word, but lies will not go unchallenged.

Maybe I will get the last word. The OP is trying to place language in his service contract that is no there by claiming that a similar engine must have similar service records. That language does not exist in his contract and is not an industry standard. His engine had meticulous maintenance records and is now a piece of junk so what do the records prove?

3 Likes

I have seen used engines installed in vehicles where the replacement worked out fine with nothing known about the engine and I have seen cases where the used engine was installed and was an oil burner. I had a colleague that owned a 1972 Chevrolet station wagon. The original 350 V-8 went bad and a 400 ,V-8 was installed. It burned oil and was replaced with another 350 V-8 that was acceptable. He had no idea how many miles were on the engine.
Back in the late 1960s, the department where I taught was moved temporarily into quarters in the service building. The service area for the university vehicles was in that building. I would wander through the garage on my way to my office and got to know the mechanics. One vehicle used around campus was a two ton 1951 Ford truck with the flathead V-8. The engine had gone out. The manager of the garage was not only a top notch mechanic, but was an expert at cutting red tape. He was told by the higher ups that the truck should be replaced and that flathead Ford V-8 engines were not available. He replaced the Ford truck V-8 with a 6 cylinder truck engine from a salvage yard and had the truck rolling in less than a week. The university got several more years out of the truck.
If I had an older vehicle that needed an engine, I would probably go the salvage engine route and as long as the engine ran well and used no more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles, I would be happy. My brother bought a used GMC pickup that had an engine that burned about a quart of oil every 150 miles. He bought a 350 Chevrolet V-8. He pulled a couple of spark plugs and they weren’t fouled, he removed a valve cover and didn’t find sludge, so he installed the engine and used the truck for the next five or six years.

1 Like

The best way to get a running engine for an 10-12 year old car around here is to buy a rust bucket that is on the way to the junk yard. You can hear them run and usually drive them.

Actually. The OP, myself, is not “trying to place language in the service contract” as you’re trying time assume. I simply asked if that would be considered “similar”. Plain and simple. And as you seem to continue to do, you keep trying to twist things to fit your narrative. Maybe you should take your old timer butt off the internet…since it seems to be to hard for you to understand simple questions without trying to assume other things/meanings…you can read the words being posted but you’re aren’t comprehending them for some unknown reason. You’re only here to try to argue with people for whatever reason…

I reread the original post. It is difficult for an insurance company, and an extended warranty is basically an insurance policy, to give the policy holder essentially what the insured had before the incident occurred.
Here is a trivial example: when I was growing up, we had some work done at our house. Somehow, one of the workers disconnected the freezer. By the time we discovered it, all the food in the freezer was spoiled. The contractor’s insurance paid to replace the contents of the freezer. However, there were 50 quarts of strawberries. These strawberries came from the strawberry patch that I had grown. These were wonderful Dunlop strawberries. The insurance company replaced the strawberries with 50 quarts of frozen berries from the local supermarket. These store bought berries were not equivalent to my home grown berries. I was in high school at the time and had put a lot of labor into growing those strawberries.
In 1960, my dad bought his first new car he had ever owned since before WW II. In 1963, the car was totaled in an accident. The insurance company of the party that caused the accident had to pay for a replacement. The Rambler that was totaled had just 36,000 miles, had brand new tires, and a new battery. The closest replacement that they could find was a 1960 Rambler with 45,000 miles, had only two new tires and the original battery. The insurance company negotiated a price with the Rambler dealer, and gave my parents a battery and tire replacement. Even though the Rambler that was totaled had been meticulously maintained, the replacement seemed to run better. The extra 9000 miles didn’t make a difference.
The point is that an insurance company, and an extended warranty is really an insurance policy, can not always replaced exactly what the insured lost. The store bought frozen strawberries certainly did not taste as good as my home grown berries, but they were better than having no strawberries.

4 Likes

Not only is it often impossible for an insurance company to replace the insured object, I contend it was never the intention of the insurance company to do so.

Just look at all the insured homes that get destroyed by floods, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. Much of what gets destroyed are items that can never be replaced, such as family pictures, and antique furniture that has been handed down for generations. These objects are priceless to us. I could buy another china cabinet to replace the one passed down from my great grandmother, but it wouldn’t be the same, even if it was identical.

The problem is that these traits that make family heirlooms priceless cannot be quantified, and the same can be said for having a verifiable maintenance history. A verifiable maintenance history didn’t keep the OP’s engine from failing, and a lack of a verifiable maintenance history on the replacement engine doesn’t mean it won’t last far longer than the original would have if its oil pump hadn’t failed.

Personally, I think it would be unreasonable to ask an insurance company to pay extra to try to remunerate policyholders for their emotional attachments, whether those emotional attachments be based on family history or maintenance history.

2 Likes

@Whitey. That’s why I don’t get emotionally attached to a car. I maintain my cars, but if the car is old, I would put in a used engine if it made sense economically. I have seen people buy back a car from the insurance company when the car needed to go to the salvage yard. I have a friend that had an old Taurus station wagon. It got bumped in another friend’s driveway. The driver’s side front and rear doors were dented, but the doors still opened and.no glass was broken. The insurance company totaled the car. She bought the car back from the insurance company. She also had an almost new Honda Civic at the time. The Taurus wagon was just used around town to carry her gardening tools and fertilizer. However, she hunted up a body shop technician that did extra work on his own time to take the dents out of the doors. Now I would have taken the insurance check and used it to buy beer. The insurance company was right in totaling the Taurus. A year later the transmission started to slip. The car couldn’t be hoisted on a rack because the undercarriage was so badly rusted. As that point, I convinced my friend to dump the car. The garage where she did business gave her $100 for the car because they had a customer for the engine. Unfortunately, she doesn’t drink, so I don’t know what she did with the $100. The money she spent having the dents removed was wasted.
I know that possessions of sentimental value that are destroyed cannot be replaced. In my case, I thought the insurance company should have put in a strawberry patch, tended to.the patch, picked the berries and prepared them for the freezer. Instead, they just gave us the.money for 50 quarts of strawberries at the going price at the local IGA store where the price was lower than Kroger or A&P.

1 Like