Exhaust pipe / catalytic repair

the very back end of the catalytic converter that forms a neck that attaches with a clamp to the rear exhaust pipe corroded and broke off… Can this be repaired without replacing the catalytic converter? The connecting clamp looks very corroded as well. Would it be better to take it to an exhaust shop like meinike or can any shop can take of this?

I’d take to an independent local muffler shop (check reviews) and see what they say.

5 Likes

Forget Meineke or Midas . Just find an independent shop and you will get more for your money . And only a shop can tell you if it can be repaired.

6 Likes

Just be prepared for other exhaust parts to be rusted out, too, and needing replacement.

6 Likes

$129 at rock auto. Are you in Cali? Carb models are $700

I was thinking about cutting off ends of a beer can …folding it so it fits into the end of catalytic converter and exhaust pipe and then using some of that tape they sell at autozone for muffler repair to seal it… would that work?

That is a terrible idea . The exhaust should be repaired properly so you don’t have fumes entering the vehicle that can kill you.

5 Likes

I think it’s too hot for the repair tape and too rusty for welding and not a beer can job at all. It’s not a VW Rabbit repair like my friend did to his car. He learned that it didn’t work on his muffler.