Exhaust mufflers

In many exhaust mufflers, condensation occurs due to high exhaust gases, which results in water forming beneath the muffler body. This eventually results in rusting, which leads to a lower muffler’s life span. So why don’t manufacturers create tiny holes in the body of the muffler to get rid of this? I don’t know whether this is a stupid idea or not if so please acknowledge the reason why they don’t do it, I would love to learn.

Look closely, most do exactly that.

4 Likes

+1 Mustangman beat me to it…

Welcome to the forum…

1 Like

Google to the rescue. OP should have looked first.
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&sca_esv=9801acaddd243ef2&sxsrf=ADLYWIL8O1Cwp8jWE5px3lLHvHICKRS76w:1728598121807&q=exhaust+drain+holes&udm=2&fbs=AEQNm0Aa4sjWe7Rqy32pFwRj0UkWd8nbOJfsBGGB5IQQO6L3J03RPjGV0MznOJ6Likin94oGSh4l60tfPppA0C5BN3Bom6kHGpJHn7EVuNALQGJ5ECLZXcQeFVI9ZjFEYIlvC4A0X1A5hYXVZIchksHpMH7WV02tkRK7mBeeFqk9Ny5yKL-imh-pD9ICs2NKoknEXBlMy1ySIrn9rDpp5YVd48typlFRTQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6sono6YSJAxVoElkFHQ0qC0sQtKgLegQIGBAB&biw=1128&bih=695&dpr=2

There are also 101 reasons that chronic short-trip driving is known to be bad for cars. The lack of condensation burn-off is one of them, and not just because of exhaust condensation.

1 Like

Regardless of what the “old” Google Images show… The small holes that use to be in a vehicle exhaust systems to vent condensations seem to have in most cases gone the way of the “key ignition switch” and the “window crank…”

I believe that all modern vehicle exhaust systems are either Stainless Steel or Aluminized steel because both are durable, resistant to corrosion, and performs well with the high temperatures of modern engines and emission standards.

Additionally, exhaust systems don’t have holes anymore because due to stricter emission regulations and advancements in exhaust system design that push clean emissions and engine performance

I have seen holes in inexpensive exhaust systems, not going to mention any brands, but they do this because the mufflers and pipes are very thin walled cheap steels that would rust out quickly.

I imagine that some sharp eyed state safety inspector might fail an exhaust system if they saw exhaust “leaking” out of the vent holes.

The condensation drip hole is necessary in cold climates to prevent water and ice build-up inside mufflers.

Below are 2021 Ford Bronco mufflers.

I haven’t replaced a muffler in any vehicle we’ve owned since my wife’s 1996 Accord. I think 1997 was the first year that the 50k mile exhaust warranty was mandated and many manufacturers started using stainless systems. My 1998 pathfinder had the original exhaust when it finally went to the salvage with around 500k miles.

The last vehicle on which I had to replace the muffler was my POS '74 Volvo, which I dumped in 1981. Every vehicle’s exhaust system since then has been 100% problem-free.

Unlike in “The Good Old Days”, modern vehicles rarely need the replacement of exhaust components.

Same. My 96 Civic’s exhaust system wound up dragging behind me on 128 one day. Neither my old 2004 Mazda (226k miles) nor my current 2014 vehicles (CRV, 189k, Mustang 103k) have had an exhaust issue.

I replaced the exhause on my old Saab… at 16 years and 103K miles becuase the joint to the muffler rotted out. It was 409 stainless steel.

The weld joints rust a little faster. That was the failure. My truck is close the that after 20 years.

Back in the 60s, my dad would replace a carbon steel exhaust at roughly 2 years because of road salt.

1 Like

I remember replacing exhaust systems every 2-3 years on so many cars back in the late 60s and 70s. Replacing rusty exhaust systems is a royal pain, even with the welding tools we had.

It was so great to see the new cars switching over to stainless steel exhausts in the 80s.

Of all the jobs at the gas station in the mid-70s, exhaust work was at the bottom of the list. What a pain.

1 Like

About every 2 years for me until after my wifes 96 accord. Many of the muffler shops are gone now or have changed their model to not only do mufflers, but auto repairs and tires. The area of Syracuse where I lived when I was in grade school had a minimum of 5 muffler shops within a 5 sq mile radius. Now there might be 4-5 muffler shops in ALL of Syracuse and they all do other work like Brakes and tires.

1 Like

+1
The younger folks in the forum might not recall that Midas was originally called Midas Mufflers. As exhaust materials improved and their business declined, they branched-out to being an all-in-one vehicle maintenance/repair/tire store.

1 Like

Same goes for Tuffy which started as Tuffy Mufflers. I think it them went to Tuffy Mufflers & Brakes, and then to Tuffy Tire & Auto doing all around service.

IDK if they ever operated in the Northeast, or if there are still any left called “Tuffy” as I think they were acquired by Mavis. There used to be one near me, but the went independent.

1 Like

I don’t recall them being in NJ.

Same with Meineke Muffler, now called Meineke Car Care Centers… The one in Madison was about the best exhaust shop around years ago, now like all the others, they do a lot of different auto repairs… It still has great reviews (mostly lol, can’t make 100% of the people 100% happy 100% of the time, well maybe if you only have a few customers)…

Yup!
Also, AAMCO now calls itself “AAMCO Transmissions and Total Car Care”.
:grimacing:

1 Like

I am a member of the younger crowd, I worked at a Midas shop in 1987 when it was Midas Muffler & Brakes.

Besides exhaust and brake system repairs, I performed suspension repairs: shocks, struts, springs, ball joint and control arm bushing replacement and wheel alignments. The shop stocked shock absorbers, struts and coil springs. They also stocked oil filters for oil change promotions to increase customer traffic.

There was a transmission shop and a tune-up shop on the same property, we didn’t compete with those shops.