Exclusion from recall?

I have a 2002 GMC 2500HD that experiences low speed ABS modulation. There is a GMC recall notice that describes this problem and lists 2002 Sierras, GM RECALL NO. 05068 or NHTSA Campaign ID number : 05V379000. I also live in Massachussetts, one of the “SALT BELT” states included in the recall.

Yet when I contact both the dealer and GMC they tell me that recalls are done by VIN and that my VIN does not appear on the list in the above recall so repair costs are my burden.

Can anyone tell me how this can be?

Sorry if this has already been disacussed.

That’s how vehicle manufacturers issue recalls and what vehicles are included in the recall. If you and other people who have the same problem with this issue where the VIN isn’t included in the recall, and file enough complaints with the NHTSA then these vehicles will also be included in the recall.

The low speed activation of the ABS on GM trucks is a common problem. And it’s caused from rust forming under the wheel speed sensor mounting surface. This rust causes the wheel speed sensor to become misaligned with the wheel speed sensor tone ring and this can cause low speed activation of the ABS.

The fix is to remove the wheel speed sensors and clean their mounting surfaces of rust. Then apply a thin film of grease to the mounting surfaces to prevent future rusting. Reinstall the wheel speed sensors and that should fix the problem.

Tester

The only recall for a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD is for the fuel system. For Sierras in general, I found your recall. Call GM at the number under “Remedy” if you want your VIN checked against the list. Go to www.safercar.gov if you want to look for yourself.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHEVROLET / AVALANCHE 2002
CHEVROLET / SILVERADO 1999-2002
CHEVROLET / SUBURBAN 2000-2002
CHEVROLET / TAHOE 2000-2002
GMC / SIERRA 1999-2002
GMC / YUKON 2000-2002
GMC / YUKON XL 2000-2002
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V379000
Summary:
CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE “SALT BELT” STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY.
Consequence:
THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS ARE TO REMOVE THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE ON THE BEARING, APPLY RUST INHIBITOR TO THE CLEANED SURFACE, GREASE THE MOUNTING SURFACE, REINSTALL THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, AND CHECK THE PEAK-TO-PEAK OUTPUT VOLTAGE TO ENSURE THE WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS. THE RECALL BEGAN SEPTEMBER 22, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 05068. GM REVISED THE INVOLVED VEHICLES BY AMENDING THE ORIGINAL 573 REPORT ON OCTOBER 4, 2005. GM REVISED THE ORIGINAL 573 REPORT ON DECEMBER 16, 2005, TO INCLUDE ADDITIONAL STATES AND VEHICLE POPULATION. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

They’re correct. It’s done by VIN and life is not always fair. There is a lot of politics behind Recalls and the object is to get the Recall playing field down as small as possible.

It happens quite often that vehicles out of the VIN range and even a number of years removed from the Recalled vehicles will not be under a Recall even though they may suffer the same symptoms and the same cause of those symptoms.