Estimate for 2010 Toyota Corolla part replacements

My local Toyota shop wants to chrg me $1600 to replace my timing cover reseal and $1300. each for my front & rear struts. My car milage is 52,000. Am I being overcharged ? Thanks.

As always, get a second opinion and we have no idea of service rates where ever you are. It sounds like the 1600 covers more than a seal ( timing belt-water pump- tension pulley ) ?.

Unless you are driving on really rough roads, I can’t see why you need to replace struts. The timing cover charge seems high. I would get an estimate from an independent garage, if you would actually need one. A small amount of oil mist on engine parts is normal; my dealer keeps telling me I need the oil pan resealed although I’ve never had to add oil and there is no trace of oil on the garage floor…

Our 2007!! Toyota Corolla has 63,000 miles on it an the struts are just fine!! We have also not had any problems with the timing cover.

I think your “service advisor” is on commission. This whole thing smells!

1 Like

How much oil are you leaking from the timing cover?

There is a lot of labor involved with resealing the timing chain cover, you should consider whether or not this repair is important to you. Usually customers ignore timing chain cover leaks if they can’t get it repaired under warranty.

The front timing cover parts cost on the 2.4 L engine is about $300, plus around 5 hours labor. $1600 seems maybe a bit on the high side, but if you live in an urban area where labor rates are high, within reason.

$1300 each is too much for replacing just one strut. Parts cost runs about $100 each, more for front, but less for rear, and about 4-5 hours to replace all four. I presume you mean the total fee, parts and labor, to replace four is $1300, which again seems within reason, esp in an urban high labor fee area. Note that you’ll need a four wheel alignment done after the struts are replaced, so ask if that is included w/the fee. If so, definitely reasonable.

Suggest to google up (or ask your dealership for) a copy of

T-SB-0145-11, September 28, 2011, Shock Absorber Replacement Criteria. Just to make sure you actually need new ones. My early 90’s Corolla with over 200K still has the original strut/shocks. Although in my case, it probably shouldn’t … :slight_smile:

The standard engine in the Corolla is the 1.8 L, the labor to reseal the timing chain cover is 12 hours. Only the XRS model has the 2.4 L engine.

1 Like

It’s hard to imagine how that job on the 1.8 L version could take 12 hours. Do they have to remove the engine and transmission first?

I just looked it up . . .

It is quite involved

And I also see 12hrs

Seems like you could get a good start on a moon rocket design if you gave it 12 hours … lol …

What does your labor guide show?

For moon rocket designers, $175 per hour … lol … and up (no pun intended).

If you mean for the Corolla 1.8L, about 12 hours is what I see too.

1 Like

:first_quarter_moon_with_face: :rocket:

Thank you Houston but it sounds like I have a problem - I appreciate all the feedback from our NASA technicians.

Sounds like Hollywood should make a movie out of this conundrum.

Bruce/Los Angeles

A good auto mechanic who doesn’t want to deplete you of your 401k is harder to find than water on Mars.

Why do they want to do the re-seal? How much oil are you losing?

1 Like

On the exterior of the seal, there is the presence of some oil (according to the mechanic) but I haven’t seen any on my garage floor.

My plan right now is to probably hold off until I see some oil residue on my parking space floor.

Maybe I’m just procrastinating the inevitable mother of all repairs ?

Would delaying the repair posibly increase the eventual total charges if fixed at a later time ?

Bw

You don’t have to repair every flaw found on your car, five years from now you will probably be driving a different car anyway.

I see several leaking timing chain covers each month, it can cause suspension bushings to swell if oil leaks onto them but that is not a common problem.

I’d wait while keeping a close eye on my oil level. If you have no drops on the garage floor it’s probably leaking very little. How often do you have to add a quart of oil? Any between oil changes?

I had my valve cover gaskets replaced on a 1996 Toyota V6, but the oil was dripping on the exhaust manifold, creating smoke and odor.

Not really a good statement on a forum that has some really good mechanics trying to give good advice.

2 Likes

Sounds like minor seepage . . . no justification for resealing the front cover

Not now

Maybe not as long as you own the car