Engine

I have a 2006 Ford Taurus SE. Tried to start the car, it would turn over, but would not catch. I shut it off and tried again and it started right up. Is this a sign of trouble and needs something?

I have a 2006 Ford Taurus SE. Tried to start the car, it would turn over, but would not catch. I shut it off and tried again and it started right up. Is this a sign of trouble and needs something?

Does this happen often, or is this the first time?

How often does this happen,
how many miles are on the car, how’s the maintenance been,
are there any other operational symmptoms,
exactly what did it do when you tried, and
how old is the battery?

Your battery is 5 years old. Start by having it, its connections, and the charging system checked. Any parts store will do this, many for free.

It just started a few day’s ago. There are 85,000 miles on it. When I turned the key to start it, it turns over real good, just won’t start, so I usually turn the key off and try again and it starts. Runs ok once it starts. I don’t have any idea how old the battery is.

If this no start condition occurs after the vehicle has sat for an extended period of time, the problem might be with the fuel pump check valve. This valve prevents the fuel from draining out of the fuel rails/fuel line back into the gas tank as the vehicle sits. If this valve fails, and air gets into the fuel system, and when the engine is first started, the fuel pump doesn’t run long enough to purge the air out of the fuel system and establish the proper fuel pressure. But on the second turn of the key the fuel pump runs again so now the air has been purged, the proper fuel pressure has been established and the engine starts.

If it is the fuel pump check valve causing this problem, it’ll get worse.

Tester

I normally drive the car everyday, short trips. Today after it started the second time, I went to the corner store and when I came out I had the same problem…Can a auto parts place test it to see if thats what it is? Thank you so much for getting back to me Tester…

Auto parts stores won’t test the fuel pressure. And that’s what needs to be done.

A fuel pressure gauge is attached to the fuel rail. The ignition switch is turned to the run position to run the fuel pump. The pressure on the gauge is observed to determine how quickly the fuel presssure builds up and how quickly it falls off. If the fuel pressure falls off quickly there’s a problem with the fuel pump check valve.

Tester

I guess the best thing to do is to take it to a garage. Thank you for your input. Karen

Do You Use Regular Gasoline Or Is This An FFV (Flex Fuel Equipped Vehicle) Running On E85 Fuel ?
Some 2004 - 2006 Taurus FFVs Need To Have The Powertrain Control Module Reprogrammed To Resolve The Hard Start/Long Crank Condition.

CSA

Is This A FFV (Flex Fuel Equipped Vehicle) Running On E85 Fuel ? Start At Or Call A Ford Dealer And Ask To Speak To The Service Manager/Director (Not Just A Service-Writer). Ask How A Ford “Extended Coverage Program (06N07)” For 2004 - 2006 Taurus FFVs Applies To Your Hard Starting Problem.

Apparently there’s a problem like the one you are describing with some 04 - 06 Taurus FFVs and running on E85 fuel instead of regular gasoline. Once these vehicles reach operating temperature the problem goes away, but perhaps your trips are too short to get up to full temperature.

Maybe the “Extended Coverage Program” would allow Ford to check your car and if need be update the car’s computer with an updated software version.

CSA