Engine Skipping in Town & Country

We have a 2005 Town & Country with about 50K. It has begun to skip, or misfire, at both high and low speeds. The van noticibly pauses. Any ideas what this might be and how serious it is? Thanks.

Any number of things.

The place to start is with the basics. Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? Air filter? Spark plugs & wires? (The latter might not be due according to mileage but should be inspected at least based on age). Someone should check the fuel pressure.

Is the check engine light on?

Since this is a relatively new vehicle, I guess you have had routine maintenace performed, so look at your paperwork and see if a tune-up is pending or should already have been done. At both high and low speeds, the miss is likely just a crossed pair of old wires or a bad plug.

Sorry for not giving more detail. We have been meticulous in having all service done on time. The engine light has been on constantly for months, even before skipping began. We have had it checked for compression, cat converter, plugs etc. at 2 separate service stations, neither could dx the problem. This car has had ac die (immed after purchasing it new), had to have all bushings replaced, has engine light on, and otherwise been the WORST car we have ever owned – and it has only 50K!!

If check engine light is on, there are codes that can help us diagnose the problem. Go to an auto parts store that can read the codes for free. Post the codes here.

Lets start with some more information. How long has it been since the last time:

• Oil was changed W filter
  • Plugs were changed
  • Plug wires were changed
  • Fuel filter was changed

Have you had any CELs (Check Engine Lights)?

We have been meticulous in having all service done on time. The engine light has been on constantly for months, even before skipping began.

Sorry you can’t have that both ways. Driving for months with an engine light on is positively not being meticulous with your car.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

"Sorry you can’t have that both ways. Driving for months with an engine light on is positively not being meticulous with your car. "

Well they did apparently try and just ran into bad mechanics as many people do: “We have had it checked…at 2 separate service stations, neither could dx the problem”

smljab - as noted, people can help if you post the actual codes, even if the shops you’ve been to haven’t helped. (Were they corporate chain-type places? Don’t expect a lot of mechanical brilliance there).

Specfically, Which Engine Is In This Vehicle ?

If your 2005 T&C has a 3.3L (with sales code EGA or EGM) or the 3.8L (with sales code EGH) engine , built on or before April 2, 2004 (MDH 0402XX) and The Check Engine Light’s on and it’s throwing codes PO300 MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE, PO301 CYLINDER #1 MISFIRE, PO302 CYLINDER #2 MISFIRE, PO303 CYLINDER #3 MISFIRE, PO304 CYLINDER #4 MISFIRE, PO305 CYLINDER #5 MISFIRE, and PO306 CYLINDER #6 MISFIRE then there may be a remedy.

After thoroughly diagnosing (using a Scan Tool with TechConnect) the vehicles (while under new car warranty) with these specifications and symptoms Chysrler dealers were replacing the spark plugs and ignition wires and if necessary reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module with new software. I am guessing that the plugs and wires are “revised parts,” but maybe not.

Do you know if you’ve had this done ? It’s a long-shot that this applies to your situation, but Chrysler’s got a four-page bulletin on this topic and may help you identify your engine.

I’m curious if your’s is an “early” 2005. What is the Date Of Manufacture on a tag on the driver’s door / door jam ? I believe the 2005 Model-Year begins July or August, 2004.

CSA

Sorry here as well, since I should have asked if the miss is consistent and regular or not. The thing is if the miss you are feeling is due to an actual spark/ firing issue in a single cylinder, it should be regular. By regular I mean it happens at the same rate all of the time and it doesn’t feel as if the engine misses other than from just one cylinder. Does it miss like a beating drum, or is the miss all over the place?