Engine Size x MPH = Fuel Economy?

But what did it get at 55 mph?

No way Iā€™m clicking on those links - what are they? Better to just get rid of them.

I flagged your post as Spam. They are links to a anti- virus program. Remove the links and I will undue my flag.

3 Likes

@VOLVO_V70 that was not spam in @sillyoldmareā€™s reply. If you see the envelope icon in the upper right corner it means the user replied by email. It was an automatic signature that was appended when sillyoldmare replied. I deleted it, but itā€™s the same issue AndyF had yesterday.

2 Likes

I have no idea what mileage it would get at 55. One trip; one time; more than a thousand miles and mostly at 70 mph.

My 2002 Sienna normally got around 24 mpg at 70 mph on the Interstate. At a steady 65, it was up to around 26. Once I had tire balance problems and drove the 840 miles back to the border at around 50 mph. It got around 33 mpg.

The Car Talk brothers used to say if my memory is not totally gone, that maximum mileage may be obtained at the point the car is in overdrive and no faster. In other words, the slowest speed in the highest gear. In the Siennaā€™s case, that would have been a bit over 40 mph, but I settled on 50 because that was the fastest I could go without the unbalanced tires beating the car to pieces.

Using Linux I have little fear of unknown links, but I use common sense simply not to waste time.

Donā€™t worry about that anymore You will start to see V-10s in trucks again, maybe even 12 cylinders. There is a new sheriff in town and he wants you to drive your gas burner. Drill baby, drill. Burn that fuel.

Speaking of V10s in trucks . . .

We have a few in our fleet

We have several F-350s and above with them. It makes them a blast to drive, versus the more common 5.4 V-8

Theyā€™re adequate in F-450s and F-550s, when all cylinders are firing. But if even one coil goes bad . . . which is quite common . . . the truck canā€™t get out of its own way, and wonā€™t even keep up with traffic on the freeway. In fact, it wonā€™t even get up 65 or 70mph

Sadly, some pencil pushers decided to order several F-750s with the V-10. Not enough power under the hood. The acceleration is so slow, itā€™s downright dangerous. Forget about keeping up with traffic. I went on the freeway. I couldnā€™t even get up to 55mph, the speed limit for such a truck. I wasnā€™t even carrying a load. Just imagine how much worse it would have been with a full load :fearful:

Whatā€™s really sad is that these F-750s are replacing older vehicles with diesel engines, which had completely adequate power

Our new F-750s are equipped with hydraulic brakes, whereas the outgoing models have air brakes. The outgoing models were GM, not Ford, FWIW. Iā€™m no engineer, but Iā€™ve driven new and old. Hydraulic brakes may be legal and are obviously an option, but they are COMPLETELY inadequate and dangerous. I drove the truck with no load, and it was literally a scary experience. I was sweating, and I was so scared some idiot would cut me off, which would have resulted in a 100% guaranteed collision, because the brakes just donā€™t work in such an application. If somebody were to cut off that truck, with a full load, there might be dangerous injuries to the fool who cut him off.

This is a CLASSIC case of something looking great on paper, but in the real world, it just doesnā€™t work.

3 Likes

Mike, I have no intention of debating Linux with someone who knows nothing about it. Everything you said is false. Not a lie. False. Here is a direct quote from Wikipedia on Android, which runs the Linux kernel.

ā€œAndroid has the largest installed base of all operating systems (OS) of any kindā€

Fermi Labs uses Linux. The Collider uses Linux. Oak Ridge makes super computers from cast-off, obsolete computers using linux cluster programs. As many as 10,000 Google employees use Linux.

The last Linux virus in the wild was over 20 years ago.

Please donā€™t drag "false newsā€™ onto a car board. My mention of Linux was a direct response to a board related discussion. Yours essentially was intended as put-down of my reference to Linux. Unfortunately everything you said was untrue, though I know you found it on the Web and believed it.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to get into this again, but part of the reason the air brake vehicle stopped better is I bet the air brake vehicles has drum brakes all the way around. Drum brakes are far more powerful and superior than disc brakes.

We have a few hydraulic disc brake equipped big trucks and they are dangerous. One is a tree truck and when itā€™s loaded with chips it takes waaaay to long to stop with a lot of pedal pressure required.

The drum brakes are self energizing and once you give them that initial kick they start applying themselves and have a wedge in the gear effect.

The main reason passenger cars have disc brakes is people race stoplight to stoplight and would quickly overheat drums. They are all in a hurry and drive like maniacs. The proliferation of disc brakes further reinforces the entitlement of instant gratification in todayā€™s society.

In a big truck you tend to read traffic signals and if its red you let off the foot feed and coast a bit to avoid stopping for each red light.

Thereā€™s a reason most new semis have drum brakes.

Iā€™m software engineer manager of a Windows AND LINUX shop. Donā€™t tell me I donā€™t know anything about it. Iā€™ve been developing in Unix C++ and Java on Linux for yearsā€¦Prefer C# on Windows.

We have a mix of Linux servers and Windows servers in house. Our deployed systems also have a mix of Windows and Linuxā€¦and Linux can be hacked if you donā€™t put the right security measures in place. Iā€™ve seen it.
And you put good security measures in place on a Windows system itā€™s extremely difficult to hack. We have a few installed windows (Windows 2008 Server R2) servers for clients in the middle-east. Some of these systems are cyber-attacked several million times a yearā€¦NOT ONE HAS BEEN BREACHED.

Linux on a phone is NOT the same as Linux on your laptop. I personally know the company and a couple of people that work for the company that did the initial development of porting Linux to the phone. The telecom business (which Iā€™ve been working in for well over a decade) is a small group. There are far less avenues of penetrating a Linux OS on an Android then your PC. But it can be done and is done. Do a Google search and youā€™ll find tons a websites on how to hack your Android phone.

http://www.recode.net/2017/3/7/14843494/wikileaks-cia-hacked-apple-iphone-google-androidsamsung

The point Iā€™ve made and keep making, but somehow youā€™ve taken to a different tangentā€¦is that Linux systems can be hacked if security systems are NOT in place. Never wavered from that position. Windows systems can also be hackedā€¦but by far the hacker community has focused on Windows over Linux because of the installed base. Most people still keep their important personal information on their PCsā€¦NOT their phones so the phone isnā€™t considered a valued target yet. Itā€™s becoming more soā€¦but still not yet. You are still very limited to the amount of information you can store on you phone. Even my 64G IPhone isnā€™t close to my 1TB Laptop I have. Professional hackers are looking for PI (personal information) data. So their target has been PCā€™s. And will be for the foreseeable future. Our company deals a lot with telecom security. Iā€™ve attended many seminars on the subject. The last one was this past summer.

2 Likes

Windows=disc brakes

Flashy but problematic. Itā€™s the new hip thing, all the hip people use windows.

Linux= practical workhorse. Not flashy or hip but gets the job done in the most efficient manner.

I have run Linux on an old router before. Itā€™s amazing.

For the love of ā€¦ DROP THE DISC BRAKE TIRADEā€¦PLEASE!!

4 Likes

Disclaimer: I havenā€™t read all the replies yet. Sorry for being late.

From a physics perspective, weight is not an issue at a constant velocity. Once you reach your cruising speed, the added weight of the momentum should make maintaining a constant speed relatively easy. The impact of a vehicleā€™s weight on fuel economy is most evident when accelerating.

Iā€™m not a physicist, so my thinking might be off here, and in the real world, your vehicle is frequently accelerating and decelerating, even if you use cruise control. Also, if youā€™re traveling at a constant speed and you go around a curve, your velocity is not constant, so weight might have an impact, but I believe it would be minimal.

In conclusion, I think youā€™ll get better fuel economy going 55 than 75, but that is no reason to drive 55 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. Youā€™ll get pretty darn good fuel economy setting the cruise control on 70 and keeping to the right.

The OTR trucking industry is headed in the other direction actually. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 121ā€™s more stringent braking requirements really opened the floodgates for air actuated disc brakes in heavy duty trucks. They stop quicker and hold up better under heavy use. The majority are still drum brakes, but disc brakes are gaining more and more popularity. The only real downside is the expense.

Fun fact: OSX the OS that is used on uber-trendy, stylish Macs is based off of Unix. Unix is not all that different from Linux.

Actually, avoiding downshifts isnā€™t the best reason to do 75 going downhill. In my opinion, the best reason to accelerate going down a hill is so you can decelerate going up the next hill. Itā€™s more efficient than driving down and up at the same speed.

As a matter of fact, this particular F-750 I mentioned is from our forestry division. Itā€™s a class 8 truck, with outriggers, dump bed and a grappler claw for picking up logs and debris

The forestry guys HATE driving it and would like to strangle the pencil pusher who ordered it

And the older trucks with the grappler claw did have Bendix air brake abs, drums all around. It got the job done, unlike the hydraulic brakes on the newer vehicle

Now I have driven to MN at 55 mph speed limit, 65 mph speed limit and 70mph speed limit. That means real speed 65, 75 and 80. From all 3 speeds I would call it a max of 2 mpg, but I am not sure as I can blame speed limits as a general drop of 2mpg seems to be an old age affliction for the car. But from 24 to 22 mpg at any of those speeds I care not. Getting there faster is more important than you do the math of a 535 mile trip saving 2 mpg. preliminary estimate is $12 @$3 a gallon

If you know UNiX, training time for Linux is very short. When I introduced Linux into a government office in Mexico City, quite a few years ago now, a young man said he didnā€™t know Linux but he did know Unix. I laughed and told him, ā€œThen you know Linux.ā€

That night everyone else went home at the usual time. He stayed; I have no idea when he finally went home, but he was all excited.

At that time, Linux did not take off. Too many employees refused to learn it. Some years later, they needed new computers and didnā€™t have the money. So, they told the employees, ā€œWe are changing to Linux. If you donā€™t want to learn it, please place your resignations on my desk.ā€

This is an old thread. Farther up is a disagreement with Mike, but a key posting is now gone. However, it started when I said I did not fear clicking on unknown links. That is a virus problem, Mike was arguing about hacking which is a completely different issue. So, we were arguing about apples vs. oranges. The last self-replicating Linux virus in the wild was a very long time ago. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Really good hackers can get into anything. IF you remember someone remotely hacked a moving car some time ago. Computer geeks have competitions every year. Systems with all defenses set up can usually be hacked by top competitors in a few minutes.

DNC got broken into by operator error, not a replicating virus nor invasive hackā€¦