Engine shutting off

Hey guys, for the past couple days my car engine has been shutting off while i’ve been driving it. It always happens when i’m going slow or coming to a stop.
There is also times when the engine will drop in rpm’s and then shoot back up without my intervention. does anyone have any pointers as to what could be the issue?

Since all any one can do is guess, mine is………
Clean the throttle body.
Clean the idle air control if equipped.
Both can be done easily and inexpensively, if you DIY them.

3 Likes

What year Forte and how many miles? Is the check engine light lit?

Without knowing the year or if there is a check engine light on. I will leave you with this…

Kia Forte Koup When I slow down and stop the car, engine shuts off Inspection Costs (yourmechanic.com)

WW’s links show the most probable causes. I’m guessing its a problem with the idle actuator. The engine will tend to stall in certain situations when idling or going slow and engine load is greater than normal, like if you turn on the AC, turn on the headlights, electric window defrosters, seat heaters etc (which produce a load on the alternator) . Even just turning the steering wheel puts a load on the engine from the power steering pump. So the computer has to compensate by opening the throttle a little more (similar to pressing on the gas pedal slightly). Otherwise engine will stall.

On newer cars that function is done by the electric throttle; older cars, done by idle air control gadget or gadgets.

Couple of possible diy’er experiments you could try

warm engine, at idle, everything not needed off, listen carefully to engine, does engine speed up a little when you

• turn on the headlights?
  • turn the steering wheel?
  • turn on the A/C?

A bad crankshaft position sensor can cause the engine to stall when slowing down or stopped.

Tester

1 Like