Engine service

i have a 2002 ford mustang gt convertible. The service engine light has been coming and going for several weeks. about 1 week ago, it started being unable to shift out of park except with great difficulty. The battery also died and then died again shortly after. however i don’t know if any of these are cause and effect. I do have plenty of brake fluid. pretty frustrated. help?

Well, you really should not let a check engine light go for weeks without finding out what’s making it light up. It’s there for a reason. No way to know if it’s related to your other troubles without knowing why it’s lit up.

Get the car to Autozone, where they’ll read the codes for free. Post them here.

I don’t think the 2002 mustang had a service engine soon light. I likely did have a CEL (Check Engine Light). Service engine soon lights tell you it is time for maintenance, like maybe oil change. A CEL means there is a problem.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P1234) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

The battery voltage getting to the shifter, and probably the rest of the car, is LOW. Have the battery cables and terminals correctly cleaned (abrasively), and have the battery and alternator checked at an auto parts store, for free. If the battery is four, or more, years old, replace it.

SES (service engine soon) and “check engine” are interchangeable terms, I believe you are thinking of a Service Interval Indicator light when you speak of maintenance issues.

Will it shift into neutral and start with the key in the unlocked (not run) position? When you are having trouble shifting it, do the brake lights work. If you can and they don’t, you might have a problem with the BOO switch or its circuit.