Engine problem

Nissan Maxima '94 - A/T 90K

check engine light was on intermittently -

not long enuf to get a code -

finally after weeks - smelled raw gas - son

checked and found a leaking? injector. Got

it replaced - but not running right - returned

to shop where other 5 injectors replaced.

Still rough - shop talked to Nissan and then

replaced with all 6 genuine Nissan injectors.

Still running rough - shop replaced EGR valve,

plugs, wires, filters,

dist cap and anything else they could

think of -

but still not running well - very rough in

idle - in gear or N or P. Runs worse now

than when I first took it in. Mechanics

think the cause is “bad gas” What say you?

Could it be the E10 gas - mandatory here

for several years?

Has the fuel pressure been checked? Do you still smell raw gas? Any smoke from the tailpipe?

E10 is pretty much mandatory everywhere and is very unlikely to have done anything.

“Bad gas” is an easy blame; I remember when anything electronic was blamed on Y2K!

You have not mentioned if anything was done to measure the fuel flow, fuel pressure and if the fuel filter was replaced.

Th Nisan Maxima engine is one of the smoothest around, so it should be possible to get it to run right even on E10 gas.

Most posters would remommend to go to a good mechanic who knows Nissan engines.

How did your son decide/discover it was a bad injector? Those things are hidden in the engine. A ruptured fuel line would be more likely.

Someone has to do a better diagnosis rather than just “throw parts” at your car.

It very possibly was/is a case of bad injectors.

Many years ago, there was a recall on Maximas of this era for this exact problem, and anyone who brought one of the cars covered by the recall to a dealership got 6 brand-new, improved-design Nissan injectors installed–gratis.

Recalls never expire. Why the previous owners of this car never took advantage of the probable recall on this car is beyond my comprehension. Call the Nissan dealership, give them the VIN and check to see if this car was one of those that were recalled. If so, perhaps you can get your money refunded for the new Nissan injectors that were installed.

Sounds like you paid for a big fishing expedition but you didn’t catch any fish…Time for a new mechanic…

Don’t know if fuel pressure was checked - but the car was in shop for the better part of SIX weeks.
Compression test was done - good I’m told.
No more raw gas smell. Did not really notice any smoke from tailpipe - but a few days ago looked
into the compartment where you fuel the car - and it had a remarkably black coating of carbon
deposits (the car is white) that had not been there previously. Can only conclude it must have
gotten there via the tailpipe (or emissions system leak) The tailpipe is on the opposite side of the car.

Don’t know if fuel flow or pressure was checked, but son installed new fuel filter recently and it checked
out still clean. RE: injectors - computer code said injector prob, and then looked at 3 injectors in the front of engine (other 3 are not easily accessible) - one of the three was swimming in gas.
I can’t figure out if these guys are bad diagnosticians, or if I’ve been had - tab so far has been $1500+.
Will prob try to get it to a Nissan shop.

Thanks - I will try that - just wish the new, pricey, genuine, Nissan injectors did the job and restored my car
to it’s former glory.
Actually tho, my Dad was the original owner, and this car was tended to lovingly by a Nissan dealer’s service dept from '94 thru 2004. And I was with him and driving this car '98 thru 2002. So this car may not be one
of those affected.

Actually, I think I’m making payments on a new fishing boat (yacht???)

Joanie, What About A “Check Engine Light” ? Has It Illumintated And Is It On Now?

Regardless, have any codes been retrieved from the car’s electronic control module, particularly a “code 45” ? Nissan has quite a detailed (10 pages) Technical Service Bulletin (issued in 1995) to help mechanics properly diagnose this “mixture related” (code 45) driveability issue.

CSA