Odor of gas

I have a problem with the car smelling like gasoline during idle. I can also smell it leaving the car at times. Took it to the dealership and they found nothing. The smell goes away when the car is driving.

Do you stop fueling your car when the pump shuts off or do you “top it off”? If you are topping off your vehicle you are letting raw gas run into the charcoal canister of your evaporative emissions system. The canister captures fuel vapors and prevents them from escaping to the atmosphere. When raw gas gets into the canister you will smell the fuel under the hood because the canister is meant for gas vapors only.

What model year is this Maxima?

I ask because, years ago, there was a recall of these cars for leaking fuel injectors.
Since statistics show that fewer than 50% of cars are ever brought back to the dealership for free recall-related repairs, it is possible that your Maxima is one of those recalled cars–but without more details from you, it is impossible to say.

For future reference, when asking a car-related question, it is very important to provide information such as model year, odometer mileage, engine type, transmission type, maintenance history, and repair history. Otherwise, everyone wastes time with follow-up questions that would not have been necessary otherwise.

I never top it off. It only smells when it is in idle. Once you drive it dissipates.

I put it down in the info. It is a 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 l V 6 with 70,000. Drives great but the gas smell could be a deal breaker. General maintenance since i bought it used in 2008 with 30,000 miles.