Engine power issue

I have a 2006 Chryler Town & Country with the 3.8L engine. The car has 170K miles on it and I change the fluids/filters as recommended. I have never changed the plugs and wires though, or the fuel filter. The car starts and idles normally, and no issues driving in-town or on the highway.

Recenty I have noticed a loss of power when I give it more gas and the transmission downshifts. The engine revs up but the power does’nt really increase and it makes a low growling kind of sound. The engine also starts to hesitate at around 3000 RPM if I rev it in nuetral. I am thinking it could be the plugs/wires, fuel filter or air filter (even though the air filter is less was installed at 163K miles. Appreciate any help with this.

“I am thinking it could be the plugs/wires, fuel filter”

The plugs have been in there for 170k miles and you think that they might be the problem?
I think that you are probably correct.

Why not just spring for the replacement of those ancient spark plugs and the fuel filter, and then see if the problem is resolved?

However, “The engine revs up but the power does’nt really increase and it makes a low growling kind of sound” certainly sounds like a potential transmission issue. If the trans fluid is as old as those spark plugs are, I would suggest that you also have the trans fluid & filter changed right away.

+! for @VDCdriver Do the maintenance FIRST and then see if the problem persists.

If so, come back and post and we’ll see if we can help you.

Change the plugs first, by all means. Then also do the deferred maintenance.

The reason the engine hesitates at 3,000 RPM’s in neutral is because there’s a rev limiter programmed into the computer.

The computer see’s no reason to bring the RPM’s any higher if the vehicle isn’t in gear.

Tester