Engine light

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 70,000 miles. The engine light came on recently. If I’m stopped, the light is steady, if I’m moving, it blinks. The owner’s manual suggested filling the gas tank to full, which I did. It’s been 2 days and 30 miles since I filled up, and the light is still on. Is there something I can do myself instead of taking it into the shop?

Most parts stores will read the computer codes for free. That should give you an idea where the problem is before you approach a mechanic.

Are you talking about the “check engine” light, or the oil pressure warning light?

YOU should check the engine oil level, add if low, and take it to the shop. Don’t delay. Or, don’t drive it.

There is a little engine symbol that shows up. It feels like a spark plug is disconnected or something. I don’t even know if the newer cars have spark plugs anymore, but it hesitates when starting out and while sitting at a red light it kind of shivers (does that sound stupid?). I guess I’ll take it to auto zone and see if they can find out what it is.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here. It likely will have a format like P1234.