Engine leaks

I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo w/about 100K miles. The vehicle is kept at a 2nd home in Fla., is driven about 1,000 miles a year, and is garaged and unused for long periods (3-4 months at a time.

The problem is that periodically, not all the time, the engine gives off two leaks, at approximately the outside points of the radiator. The fluid is greenish and oily.

The real problem: I have had the vehicle and radiator tested for leaks in the system, and nothing shows up. All tests come up negative. Plus, the engine never overheats and all fluid levels are fine.

So, what’s the deal with these leaks?

It seems the pressure test would turn up the leaks, but hey, a leak is a leak. There’s no better evidence than seeing the green oily stuff. It’s 11 years young with 100,000 miles. The original radiator owes you nothing.

If it were me, I’d just change it. The last radiator I put in my old pickup was because I saw green drops and some white crustys by one of the lower seams, and it had over 100,000 miles on it. Even though I wasn’t having any symptoms I changed it out. Then I easily pushed by finger right into the crustys on the old radiator. It was destined to fail…in the immediate future. For about $125 (parts & coolant cost…I’m a good shopper) I saved myself a breakdown, a tow, and probably a damaged engine.

Agree; it is time to PROACTIVELY replace the rad. If you took a long trip with this car, it would likely fail and spoil your vacation.