Engine fan keeps running on '01 Chevy Impala

For the past 3 years, and always in November, the temperature gauge on the dash doesn’t move from cold when the car is warmed up and running. The engine fan at the radiator runs for a few minutes after the car is shut off, too. I take it in to a radiator service center and they reset the computer and clear the codes. This fixes the problem until the next November. Does anyone else have this problem? What is the real problem?

Are you saying resetting the computer makes the temperature gauge work correctly and there are no other problems? Do they do anything other than reset the computer?

They haven’t done anything more than reset the computer. And that’s solved the problem the past 2 years. It’s November again, the weather is starting to get cold, and the problem has come up again. I hope it will be the same fix again.

You probably have a faulty Temp Sensor but I wouldn’t worry about the fan running for a short time after the engine is shut off.

Is a new temp sensor an expensive or complicated fix?

Funny, this problem only occurs when the weather gets cold. And it’s only gotten down into the 30’s.

A temperature sender or sensor is not expensive and I don’t think it would be diffacult to replace. It is probably near the thermostat housing.