Engine Cutting out/ Sometimes Won't Start

I’ve had a ‘Service Engine’ light on (code 42) for a while now that I’ve possibly been stupidly ignoring.

My problem may or may not be related.

Coming home from work for the past 2 days at 8PM, my car has almost died on me in exactly the same place about a block from where I was parked.

Only last night after the near-stall, I got about a half a block before it shut off on me entirely. I got it started and another half block or so before it crapped out on me and wouldn’t start. I pushed it off the road and waited about an hour and tried it again and had no luck.

I got there this morning at about 8AM with a tow truck en route, tried it, and it started right up. I didn’t give it any gas and only let it run for about a minute but it seems to run fine.

The only thing I noticed was that there was what was sort of like a tapping sound regularly maybe 2 times per second or so. It was very steady. It’s been making that sound for a while but normally I’m inside and don’t hear it as well.

Here are some other details- The day before when it crapped out and yesterday as well, it only died when I gave it gas.

Also, I listed the times here because it only seems to do this at night. When it died at 8, it ran fine at noon when I was on my way to work. Is it a matter of temperature? Or is it a matter of I start off much slower leaving home since it’s residential while I’m having to go faster sooner leaving work?

Or is it neither? Is there anything I should try? I’m trying to push it another week if possible before taking it in any place to get it looked at, as I have only about $50 to put into it until then.

Thanks in advance!

This is a 1993 Buick Regal Custom, by the way.

The first sentence of your post says it all.

The Check Engine light is an early warning sign. When you ignore it small problems become large, expensive problems.

Stop ignoring the warning.

I’ve had a ‘Service Engine’ light on (code 42) for a while now that I’ve possibly been stupidly ignoring.

Well we agree there. :slight_smile:

I am going to guess that is a CEL and SES.

[b] CEL [/b] Check Engine Soon   That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. I would guess you have a code: P0040

[b] SES[/b] Service Engine Soon is telling you it needs something like an oil change or new plugs etc.

Yeah I think I’m going to start paying more attention to my lights!

I’ve tried Advanced and Autozone in the past but since my car is older than a '96 (I think) they say they can’t read my codes. Someone showed me how to get the other code which is how I came up with the Code 42.

I Googled the code you’re guessing and it says O2 sensors which is what the guy who told me how to check my code said he thought it might be.
Would that at all coincide with the code 42, which as I understand it is an EST problem?

I just got home and did an experiment… I started the car. Put it in neutral. I gave it gas and when it got to 30,000RPMs almost exactly, it shut off. I tried it a few more times and the same thing. No matter how slow I get it up there it seems to do the same when I hit 30k. Does this point to anything?

Anyone else? The 30k RPM thing could maybe, hopefully, possibly be key… I think. Maybe.