Emergency temp tire?Do you have one?Maybe not!

Hopefully, the people at the shop who mount the new or repaired tire can figure that out. This might be a good reason to go to the dealership for the repair, because the guys at my tire shop seem pretty clueless sometimes about similar matters.

2 Likes

Reminds me. Years ago a friend had a tire shop and I was there one morning when a guy brought his pick-up in. He wanted the spare mounted underneath, free of course. Grumble grumble finally got the thing in place and secured. Guy drove off without a thank you and was put on the list of folks to not deal with in the future. You gotta ask nice for some of those special things, especially if its full of snow and ice-and maybe a tip even?

We had a foot of snow in the last 24 hours and we hadnā€™t been plowed out yet. And had a furniture delivery this morning due to their screw up last week. At any rate they got the truck through a foot a snow to make the delivery. Yeah I tipped them. Not as much as I wanted because I couldnā€™t get out to the bank until after the plows came through, but still a little courtesy goes a long way.

Youā€™re a good man

I always give a respectable tip, when I have furniture or appliances delivered and installed

At the dealership, we also had a list of ā€œfolks to not deal with in the future.ā€

Customers, naturally. They were on that list, though, because they tried to pull illegal scams on the dealership. And they also tried to do the same thing at other dealerships. And there was indisputable proof of their actions. Iā€™m not sure if they ever knew they were on such a list.

I thought it would be of interest to keep this thread refreshed. I am not trying to belabor topic but more than half of the friends I ask do not know that they are not equipped with a temp tire needed for emergency replacement of a blown tire, NOT A FLAT TIRE!!! Why do so many of the responds-keep suggesting that I let roadside assistance take care of the problem. You can pump all the air or plug fillers you want but it will not work on a blown tire.
The other night it came to me to ask how many pickup trucks since 2014 do not come with a spare.? Since so many think the temp is just a waste of money because they are hardly used, then why so with the pickup? A few years back a large bolt punctured my pickup left rear and I was on way from Texas to Ohio to attend a very dear family friend funeral. Sure nice to get that truck back on the road with little or no help. How many boat or cargo trailers do you see parked on the shoulder because they did;'t have a spare.
I promise to shut up now about the issue.
rockyā€¦Merry Christmas.

Did you buy a temporary use spare tire and install it in your vehicles spare tire carrier?

Trucks are made to drive off-road and pull trailers, the conditions can make for a higher risk of tire failure and is some environments having a spare tire or two is critical. The cost of the spare tire and fuel economy is less of a factor with pickup trucks.

Most cars travel in a routine secure environment, help is just a call away. I prefer to carry a spare tire but I donā€™t see spare tires on motorcycles, cars are somewhere between trucks and motorcycles with the respect for the necessity for a spare tire.

3 Likes

So, apparently, those people have never bothered to open the area of the trunk/cargo area where a spare tire would normally be located in order to check the pressure in that spare. If they had tried to perform the important task of periodically checking the spare tireā€™s air pressure, they would have immediately noticed the lack of a spare tire. To some extent, I can understand not being aware of the spare tire situation with a new or nearly-new car, but if someone has owned a vehicle for a couple of yearsā€“or moreā€“and has no clue regarding what isā€“or is notā€“contained in the trunk/cargo area, that doesnā€™t say very much for that personā€™s sense of responsibility as a car owner.
:thinking:

Let us say that one of those friends did have a spare, but had never checked the pressure in the spare during the 3, or 4, or 5 or ?? years that he had owned the car. That spare would almost surely be unusable in the event of an emergency because it would be severely underinflated.

IMHO, people who are uninformed about their own vehicle have nobody to blame but themselves for their lack of knowledge.

I carry not only a real spare tire, but also a foot pump, tire plugs, a set of spark plugs (the previous set, removed because of age, not failure), belts, thermostat, fuel filter, fuses, oil, antifreeze, the tools to use all of themā€¦ Iā€™ve been stuck in below zero weather, way up dirt roads, before cell phonesā€¦ I feel a lot better being able to deal with it myself, even though I belonged to the auto club. Itā€™s a small expense, well worth it. My spare, mounted underneath my pickupā€™s bed, is hard to check.

At least you have a foot pump. I carry a small compressor.

Donā€™t want flat feet.

1 Like

Reinforces your point - Iā€™ve used the full size spare on my 14 year old truck 3 times. I canā€™t remember when I last used a spare for a car.

This makes no sense. Whether the tire is flat, or blown, you still need to get it to a tire shop for repair or replacement. The AAA guy is not going to patch your tire on the side of the road. Heā€™ll change it for you, or heā€™ll tow you if you lack a spare. Those are the two service options you will get.

I finally used my spare tire for the first time in 15 years the other day, because I ran over some L-brackets and one managed to pierce the tire. If my car hadnā€™t had a spare, the roadside assistance guy would have towed me to any tire shop within 100 miles.

I fail to see the big deal here.

I think what heā€™s saying is that, if the tire is just flat, but not ruined, a can of fix-a-flat might be enough to get you where youā€™re going.