Emergency temp tire?Do you have one?Maybe not!

Well, that’s a relief. I worked for the steel company that provided the wire rod that was failing. I didn’t talk directly to Firestone about it, but I was told they tried to pin it on us. We did I solve the wire breakage problem by changing steelmaking practices slightly, to produce deformable inclusions. That allowed us to continue as the only wire rod manufacturer for tire cord in the US. The others were European and Japanese. I guess that’s why I never heard of a big law suit.

It’s a 20 inch wheel, so it’s a newer car, it’s a 50 aspect ratio. Too high (these days) for a performance car, so probably an SUV/Crossover (spare tire is inside of vehicle), The valve cap is aluminum so that suggests an upmarket vehicle or at least a higher trim level. The design of the wheel looks american to me, but I can’t place, it I want to say Chrysler, but I I can’t think of anything they have that would use that tire size.

Yup, but not a Chrylser. The final assembly is U.K. if that clue helps. And it is a crossover.

Jaguar F-Pace S.

1 Like

I’m driving around with two spare tires.

I was driving through Texas one Sunday afternoon and I got a flat tire. I mounted the small doughnut spare that came with my '98 Civic, and started looking for a shop where I could buy a new tire. The one that blew was not reparable. All the shops were all closed, so I had to keep driving on the doughnut spare. I got a new tire Monday morning in Houston on my way out of the state. When I got home, I bought a used rim and a used tire, and ever since then, I’ve been driving around with a small stock spare and a full size spare in my trunk.

I’ve never had to use them both at the same time, but it’s been convenient to use the full size spare when I needed it knowing I still have the small one if I were to need it.

Just another instance where a spare was very helpful. I was pulling the trailer with the new dock loaded on for a 200 mile trip to the cabin. About 10 miles away blew a rear tire. It was about 5:00 Friday night. I quickly put the space saver spare on and made it to the one shop in the little town of 500 people. I got them just before closing and bought a used tire for $20. I was home again that night just $20 lighter to buy a set of tires the next week. Without a spare, waiting for a tow and with a trailer, would have been a big issue, plus at least the overnight downtime, and no taxi service in the boonies folks.

Kind of funny, pulling my boat trailer I am required to have a spare, driving a car, not required.

Bing: You are so on topic. I am the originator of this topic and am amazed at home many reply’s are so off topic. You hit the nail directly on the head. Sure it is ok if your tire goes bad while you are in your town and it is the right time of day and right day for a tire shop to be open to replace the uninflatable tire, either blown side wall or major puncture. I think roadside assistance tilt bed tow beyond 10-25 mile can get very pricy. As you say, what do you do when you are midway between Cut Bank Mt. and Havre? Do either have a tire shop and do they have your 225/65R17 on the shelf for you? How many days in the motel wait.
I am fortunate that my tire shop owner was able to locate me a used rim/tire from a totaled 2014 T&C at a cost of $150. Brand new over 450.
Just trying to say, “Don’t be shocked out in the middle of nowhere of inner-city kill zones”.

Is Bing on topic because he agrees with your opinion? That’s what it looks like.

3 Likes

Neither would I, but unless I misread the OP, this was a case of a missing spare tire. There was a place for one to be stored underneath the vehicle and that space would be conspicuously empty during a full inspection.

It is! Good eyes!

What do I win? :smile:

Naw, I’m always on topic doncha know? :grin:

1 Like

State regulation? I don’t know of any requirement like that around here.

Several years ago I was helping a friend move from Seattle to Phoenix. We rented a U-Haul trailer, asked if it had a spare. The rental agent told us none of their trailers came with spares, that if we had a problem just call the 800 number and they would send a tow truck out to us.

2 years ago I moved from WA to OR and rented a trailer to move my toolboxes. No spare.

It looks like either the law changed or I was misinformed, apologies to all :mushroom:

The respect of your peers!

Did your name change for a few days? @GorehamJ I saw some posts that looked like your avatar, but a different name.

Yes, and I appreciate you noticing. Volvo_V70 actually was kind enough to point out the glitch and it took a week or so for the CarTalk team and I to figure out what went wrong. Should be fixed now.

1 Like

Hot doggies! I’m making 60 minutes an hour now!

It was easy once you said the vehicle was assembled in GB. There aren’t many. I went to the Jaguar web site and compared rims.

I happened to come across this image of the spare in the new Chrysler Pacifica. Only trims without the hybrid system and without the in-vehicle vacuum have a spare. If my memory is correct from the launch event, this spare comes delated to save a bit more space and has a pymp that the driver uses to inflate it when needed. Not sure how it gets put back after use. The rest have a phone number for roadside assistance (towing). pacifica spare tire