Email service promo from the dealership

This is really one of my pet peeves. I’m disappointed, but not entirely surprised.

I hope you sent a reply asking why you would have your brakes repaired by a place that could not spell brakes.

I can’t get my BRAKES done at a place that spells them BREAKS. Just can’t…

Yup!
Similarly, I refuse to have masonry work done by a company that advertises their “masonery” services, and I can’t bring myself to eat anything that is misspelled on a restaurant menu.

:confounded:

And it is NOT just OCD. Noooo! Never

Knock knock, Not OCD, Knock knock, Not OCD, Knock knock, Not OCD, :grinning:

I agree, If you can’t spell it, you likely can’t do it. Or at least do it well.

Pretty funny! I had an English menu at a restaurant in Germany that translated ravioli into “Noodle bags of meat” The Germans called it “ravioli” and I explained to the owner that’s what WE called it, too. Same for Sauerbrotten. I can’t remember the translation they printed but it was pretty strained as well.

Also had a few wait staff try and describe “pork” as “pig flesh” (sounding much like “pickled fish” at times) because the translation is schweinefleisch - literally “pig flesh”

just today, my wife asked me what I brought for lunch.

Instead of typing, 'Sloppy joes.'
I replied: 'Sloppy hoes."

good thing our marriage is strong…

2 Likes

Yes, for sure.
From now on, look for the neat ones…
:wink:

3 Likes

I read the ad, and they mentoned “Omnicraft” brakes . . . are those Ford’s “budget” line of brake pads for cheapskates?

2 Likes

From what I understand it’s Ford’s branding for their line of replacement parts for non-ford vehicles.

I had a 1972 Honda Z600 coupe. The owner’s manual was loosely translated from Japanese. A driving tip was; “When encountering a pedestrian on the roadway, one should tootle one’s horn trumpet.” We of course went "tootle, tootle, tootle ", when we saw pedestrians

As long as we’re picking on spelling, it’s “sauerbraten.” :wink:

In seriousness, I sometimes wish we were a little less hard on newbies who can’t spell “brakes.” Most car forums I’ve ever been on have a fair number of people who can’t spell to save their lives, and those are the guys who can take a car apart and put it back together in their sleep. I’d rather just spell it right in my answer and not make the guy who’s asking for help feel bad about himself.

3 Likes

I look at it a bit differently, undoubtedly from my perspective as an educator for 35 years.
IMHO, giving someone a gentle hint about how to spell common words is something that may actually make him/her more employable.

After I retired from the field of education, I went back to school, got another degree–in Paralegal Studies–and began a new career writing the Child Abuse/Child Neglect/Forfeiture of Parental Rights court complaints for my county. Soon, I was allowed to be one of the decision-makers regarding hiring of new personnel, and I instituted a writing test for those who got through the first phase of the interview process.

That writing test weeded-out the candidates who would potentially embarrass us (and endanger our cases) with their poor spelling and tortured grammar. Some applicants never even got to that stage because their cover letter and/or resume was so badly-written.

The most memorable one who never even got to the interview stage was a guy who wrote that he was responding to our “add”. As I said to my supervisor, “I don’t think that somebody who can’t distinguish between the abbreviation for ‘advertisement’ and one of the four basic math functions should be writing legal documents that will have an impact on the lives of children”, and she agreed with me. Another applicant apparently did not know the difference between “libel” and “liable”–which is inexcusable in someone who is writing legal documents.

While not every prospective job situation will include an S.O.B. like me–who actually expects people to be able to communicate properly in his/her native language–I still believe that providing an example of how to spell common words can make a person more-readily employable, and that is a good thing for that person, as well as for the economy.
:relaxed:

1 Like

I don’t think expecting someone to know the difference between Brakes and Breaks is setting the bar too high.

You’re right, of course. It will. I write for a living, and I certainly wouldn’t hire someone who couldn’t spell “brake.”

However, in the context of this venue, we’re here to help people fix their brakes, not to help them gain employment. We don’t generally dispense medical advice either, after all, because that’s not the reason this forum exists.

And @VOLVO_V70 my objection to the practice has nothing to do with where we set the bar, and everything to do with how we make newbies feel. If you give someone a hard time because they can’t spell, they aren’t going to feel great about themselves. That’s fine if it’s your kid, or your student, or your job applicant, but I don’t think that’s what we’re here on Cartalk to do.

Quite frankly I’d rather help 20 people who can’t spell “brake” than deal with one more of those trolls who come on here and ask stupid questions and then spend over a week berating and insulting us because they want to start a forum war, y’know?

5 Likes

When I was in college, one of my “study buddies” described a promotion that was mailed to her father, a Mr. Whitfield.

The fantastic offer was delivered to the correct address for Mr. S_ _ tfield!

It had only one tiny mistake, the first letter of his name!

Needless to say, one minute spelling error caused a great “deal” to go to waste, forwarded directly to the round file.
CSA

Many years ago, my brother received an automotive promotion of some sort that was addressed to Mr. Batman. :smirk:

That mistaken name was “off” by a few letters, but it did provide a lot of chuckles every time we asked him for a ride in his Batmobile.

funny thing too I remember when my Mother 1999 Explorer was new when they had the recall letter they misspelled cruise control with cuise control.

Like I said before, the local paper had a back to school “break” special from a local shop. I contacted the editor and they corrected it before it hit the actual printed version. I thought it was pretty ironic that it would be a back to school special and either the shop or the copy writer didn’t know/no the difference between break and brake.

Could be worse Bing-

2 Likes