Electrical power loss while driving

It happened several times when I was driving my Honda 98, there was total power loss. Radio and signals turns off. After I stop and turns the ingnition, the car starts back again with no hesitation. It happened occasionally and mostly in the afternoon.

The trouble may be due to faulty ignition switch or in the wiring between the battery and the dash fuse panel. Also check and clean your battery connections. You may be able find the trouble by tapping on the ignition switch while the igntion is ON and see if the trouble occurs.

Can be loss of ground, check both ends of negative cable from battery.

I’ve read that most Honda’s have a master relay that can cause problems like this, especially when warm. Worth checking out.

Try the following first. Since it’s a Recall it’s a freebie and while getting this done if it has not been done already, make sure that any other outstanding Recalls are done at the same time.

Recall Date:
MAY 16, 2002

Model Affected:
1998 HONDA ACCORD

Summary:
ON CERTAIN SEDANS, COUPES, HATCHBACKS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, ELECTRICAL CONTACTS IN THE IGNITION SWITCH CAN DEGRADE DUE TO THE HIGH ELECTRICAL CURRENT PASSING THROUGH THE SWITCH WHEN THE VEHICLE IS STARTED.

Consequence:
WORN CONTACTS COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 14, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009 OR ACURA AT 1-800-382-2238.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

The Honda ignition switch has a heavy current load which comes in on a single large contact. When things aren’t turned off (like the heater/cooling fan, headlights,etc.) with their own switches before engine shutdown, the ignition switch contact has to break those circuits. Upon start-up (with those individual switches still ON) the ignition switch contact powers those circuits. Over time, this heavy electrical load causes the ignition switch contact to burn and become intermittent.
Do you leave the cabin fan, etc., turned ON when you shut the engine OFF? And ON when you start the engine?

Question – for hellokit. Does this apply for the Civics as well? I have a Honda Civic 98 LX and it appears an identical problem is happening (and yes, I was in the bad habit of leaving everything on). The issue was with the very first stall, which was in downtown Pittsburgh and the hazard lights weren’t even working. The first two times it had to be towed (although it is possible that I could have started it the second time – I have to ask my mechanic what he did after the first time). It has stalled three more times. The last two I idled it for one minute and it was fine. It has only stalled when near-idle or idle, typically at traffic lights, etc. although once it stalled after driving slowly down a steep cobblestone hill. I would like to do some long distance driving in four days.