Electric car observations

Nice joke, but I might drive one someday, just in case you want a new way to eat a pineapple, eat pineapple - Google Search

1 Like

I’ve never had a problem with Prius drivers.

A 2021 Tesla 3 is rated at 24 kwh/100 miles. To go 100,000 miles would require 1000 charges for a total of 24000 kwh at 13 cents per kwh would cost $3120.

I don’t think anyone is buying a Tesla to save on fuel.

And a car that gets 30mpg will cost you $10,000 in gas

This comparison is valid until the Tesla needs a new battery or the gasoline engine or tranny needs work. Which is most likely?

Says who? Their batteries are designed to last 300-500 thousand miles. And based on everything I’ve read - most are achieving that. A vehicle that properly maintained should also last the 300k mile mark without replacing an engine or tranny. We’ve kept past vehicles past 300k miles with ZERO engine or tranny issues.

What Tesla has 300,000 miles?

I’m sure she meant that it should have been a 1964 with the rocket 429 engine.

I much prefer the 390 with the 4 speed dual coupling hydramatic to the 429 with a thm400.

I had a 61 Sedan for a little while, I always liked the 390 and the Hydramatic. But I never really liked the styling of the 61-62, a little too plain for me. I never did get a hold of the 64 I always wanted, but put a lot of miles on the 70 Coupe I had later on.

Here’s one - Here’s how a Tesla Model S holds up after 400,000 miles in 3 years - Electrek

And another.

Tesla Model S World-Record Holder Will Soon Pass 750,000 Miles (insideevs.com)

1 Like

Accurately testing the longevity of a battery can easily be done in a lab setting. It’s done all the time.

Back to my original point:

And another example:

A Tesla Model 3 replacement battery costs over $15,000, so that’s nearly half a million miles before you’d spend as much on electricity as the battery cost.

$15,000 of gas @ $3/gal & 30mpg = 150,000 miles

impressive…

some time before I’ve seen some reports that early Model S was prone to developing an electrical motor whining noise, necessitating replacement, but likely it was taken care of by now (?) as we do not see any flood of these complaints

I think some time before people were too scared of hybrids falling apart with battery as the first suspect, yet it did not happen on the scale people feared, so it will likely take some time for EVs to be dropped from the suspect list I bet

On the first one with 400k miles, does the article not say the battery pack was replaced twice…. If so, that one isn’t a good indicator that the battery will last 3-500k miles.

1 Like

The Model S with 750,000 miles;

“As we previously stated, these miles are not all on the original motor and battery. In fact, by November 2019, Gemmingen had gone through four motors and three battery packs.”

2 Likes

that changes a math … a little bit (?)

200-250K miles per battery a some shy of 200K miles per motor?

it seems to be in a ballpark of the gasoline powered counterparts, although some of them can probably go twice as long mileage-wise and cost twice as low to replace the drive-train when needed

Nobody buying these cars is a) keeping them for ten years or
B) buying $40,000 or $90,000 cars to save a few bucks on fuel.

I agree with what you’re saying.
However, you don’t seem to understand the point I was making, which does not relate to what you’ve said above.
You’re reading something into my post that’s just not there.