Elantra gas tank

Hi. I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra-bought new. I’ve never had any problems with it until recently. I went to pump gas into an empty tank and every 20 cents or so, the pump clicks and stops. This has been happening for about 3 weeks (I’ve tried pumping on a half full tank and I squeeze the nozzle firmly against my car to avoid any air pockets and it will still click and stop repetitively). Once or twice, my car will reject the gas and it will spill out of the tank. Can you offer any insight on what the problem may be or how I can remedy this situation so I don’t continue making enemies with the gas attendants who curse my 20 second tank stop.

Try pulling the nozzle out a half an inch, and see if that helps. I’ve had problems like this due to the vapor recovery system at the pump causing a similar problem, and pulling the nozzle out a bit helps. This may also be a symptom of a problem with the car’s vapor recovery system. Letting the nozzle vent out by not putting it all the way in sometimes helps.