EGR valve replacement schedule

My 1989 Dodge B250 van has a rather rudimentary emissions control system, apparently. The computer is programmed to light an “Emissions Maintenance Required” light every 60k miles, at which time the owner is supposed to replace the EGR valve. I’ve never had to replace an EGR valve before, and with all the $$ I’m having to pour into this beast, I’d rather not replace a $50 part just because an idiot light said so.

My question is, what are the actual symptoms that tell you an EGR valve is going bad? I’m taking it in for a state inspection tomorrow, so if it fails, I imagine the EGR could be suspect. But the engine purrs sweetly and pulls a strong vacuum, so there are no EGR vacuum leaks. If it passes emissions and the engine runs fine, can I just ignore the maintenance schedule that says to replace the EGR?

Turn the ignition switch on so the dash lights come on and turn it off. Repeat three times within five seconds and leave the ignition on. The Check Engine light will start to flash out code numbers. Here’s a link for the codes. http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/Chrysler%20OBD1%20Decoder.htm

Most pre OBDII Emissions Maintenance Required lights were related to the O2 sensor.

Tester

Tester, my understanding is that the EMR light on this van is simply programmed to come on at 60k, 82k, and 120k miles. It’s not driven by any sensor data, just miles.

The MIL lamp, however is NOT lit. So there shouldn’t be any codes to read. Right?

It’s OBDI. Check for codes.

Tester

So OBD1 can have codes without lighting the MIL ??

I will do as you say…thanks.

The EMR on your car is a timed interval warning device. It is easily reset with the proper scan tool. It’s been so long since I didn’t have the proper equipment that I don’t remember if there’s a way to reset your warning without one.

No, from what I’ve read, you need the scan tool to clear the EMR light. I’m going to ask my mechanic to do that tomorrow.

On some vehicles in the mid eighties, the manual said to disconnect the light at 120,000 miles. The factory manual might say it on your car too. Maybe not, because of the OBD system.