2013 Dodge Charger EVAP leak

So I have a 2013 Charger R/T that has thrown a code several times for “emissions system failure” and after clearing the codes the check engine light would stay off for about 6-8months until it threw that code again. Now it says “emissions system leak detected” and the light will not stay off. My car runs fine and im aware this isn’t a real big issue(not right now at least) but with these newer GM when the check engine light is on the remote start will not work. Its getting cold and I want my remote start so I have to get that light off! I do not have a regular “gas cap” its rubber attached to the door that seals when shut. Ive cleaned that and it seems to seal good. Where should I look next? Also i don’t ever smell gas, someone said if there was a leak I should smell gas? Are there hoses/lines I can visually inspect? Do i need a smoke test? Should I just start replacing the charcoal filter and the evap sensor thing(sorry i forgot what it was called)? Can those be tested before just replacing them?

You mention GM but this is a Chrysler product. I am confused by that.

You also don’t say what the error code is (P0420, or P0455 or??). Apparently the car is posting a message, right?

In any event, none of the parts that can cause the problem are not all that expensive. Generally they are cheaper than the labor to remove and test them.

I’d suggest when the light comes back on you have the codea read and posted here. Or, you take it to a good independent mechanic who can diagnose the actual problem.

Sorry about that I didn’t finish my thought there, I meant that since I knew a lot of newer GM vehicles did this( disabling the remote start) im sure thats also why mine isn’t working. As there are no other codes and it worked fine before.

The code is for a small emissions system leak o believe it was something like p0456…jndont remember the exact code # but thats what its for.

We will remove and test parts ourselves i was just wondering of anyone could help me out with how or where to start. I have a book but I figured someone who has experience might be able to provide more knowledge than a book or google.

The way to find a small evap leak is with a smoke test. That is what the code is telling you. Follow the smoke and there is the repair you need.

Without smoke, you can inspect it visually for damage to evap lines. You might find it that way. Undercar lines and parts are vulnerable so start there.