E-150 Starter problem

I have an excellent running 2006 E-150 Cargo Van with 40,000 miles on it.

Until recently it would start up immediately when I turned the key. But for the past month or so it sometimes does not start immediately - - sometimes I have to keep cranking the starter as I pump the gas pedal two or three times - - then it starts up and runs fine. This starting problem, prolonged cranking of the starter and pumping of the gas pedal, is becoming increasingly necessary to start the van. But once it starts it runs great.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas you might have as to how I can make my van start as it used to immediately upon turning the key.

I?ve changed the air cleaner, the fuel filter already…

Thanks for your help,

Nick Lee

Perform the routine, scheduled, maintenance of replacing the air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs. Then, come back with the results. At that time, depending upon those results, we can suggest the next step.

Is it still under warranty? Has all the recommended maintenance been done? Has the CEL (check engine light) come on?

The next time you go to start the engine, turn the ignition to the run position so that the dash lights come on for two seconds and then turn the ignition off. Repeat this several times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts right up there’s a problem with the fuel pump check valve.

Tester