Durango - High Beam on Dash Lights Out

I have a 2001 Durango and just noticed that when I put on my high beams, the dash lights go out. They seem to be flickering. The regular lights work just fine. The dealership wants $97 just to diagnose the problem. Anybody know why this is happening and how bad this bill is going to be? I’s like a little knowledge before I have it repaired. Thanks!

Start by checking the ground for the headlights.

Is the headlight switch on the dash or on the multifunction switch on the steering column?

It’s on the multifunction switch on the steering column.

Just to clarify, I was referring to the switch to turn the parking lights and headlights on, not the dimmer switch that selects high- or lowbeams.

If the headlight switch is part of the multifunction switch, the multifunction switch is probably bad. Not that difficult or expensive for the DIYer.

The regular headlights are turned on by a switch on the dash. The high beams are turned on by pulling the lever on the steering column towards the driver.

I’m not a DIYer for the car, so I would have to take it to a shop/dealer.

Ah, just like my Dakota. I’ll try to take a peek at the wiring diagrams in my Haynes manual tonight to see where these circuits share connections.

Thanks!

Okay, I finally got a chance to check out the wiring diagrams in my manual. The only part these two circuits semm to share is the headlight switch itself. Does it feel warm when the lights are on? What happens when you move the rheostat for adjusting the brightness of the dash lights?

There should be a ground point with several ground leads just above the driver’s kick panel. Make sure the bolt is tight and nothing has broken off.

It sounds like there may be a grounding problem. Make a long ground jumper lead and attach one end to the negative side of the battery. Then turn on the lights to monitor the problem. Place the other end of the jumper lead on suspected bad ground points under the dash and under the hood. The lights should work normally when you touch a bad ground point with the jumper. Be careful not to touch the ground jumper lead to any power lead.