Duramax or powerstroke

I’m in the market for a new truck, I want a 1 ton, but 3/4 ton will do. I have a dilemma though, do I get a tried and true Ford with a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel, or do i try an early 2000’s Chevy with a Duramax Allison combo? my dad has the Powerstroke, so i know it pretty well, does anyone have a Duramax that would be willing to tell me what you think? Thanks

At some point it’s more important to look at maintenance and condition. Both are very serviceable motors. I would put both on my list and look for the truck in the best shape overall. I think we put too much emphasis on the motor when buying a used vehicle and not on everything else. Each truck of that vintage will have it’s weaknesses and must be weighed in total. If the best were a gas motor for the money with extremely low mileage, should that be discounted ?
Some of us, self included suffer from diesel fetish when a gas motor in a pristine body with more reliable electrics might serve us better.
I could talk about neighbor’s old dodge diesel that’s been an absolute animal, except that darn thing is in the shop for suspension problems for more time than it actually gets to work; seems like.