Driving prevention = kill switches?

How was your driving restricted?
Were there roadblocks?
Were drivers pulled-over at random in order to interrogate them regarding their destination?
If somebody stated that he/she was headed to a supermarket, or a medical facility, or a pharmacy, were they followed by cops in order to confirm that they were buying food or seeking help for a health problem?

To me, this sounds very much like the people in NJ and Oregon who are–bizarrely–convinced that they will be arrested if they pump their own gas. I guess that it’s very easy to be overwhelmed by fear to the point of cowering in one’s home or one’s car over a theoretical legal restriction.

Unless you can provide links to credible sources with accounts of people in your state–or any other state–having actually having been prevented from driving wherever they wanted during lockdown, then I’m going to have to attribute that claim to baseless fear-mongering.

1 Like

My best friend, who is a Critical Care Nurse, was never questioned, or stopped, or detained while driving to or from his hospital.

As did I and my friends and family. Mostly, we just did a lot of sightseeing, but long drives on less-crowded highways, and an opportunity to hike in less-crowded state parks, was a nice way to relax. Yes, we were told that we should stay at home unless we were seeking food or medical care, but our frequent drives–without actual restrictions–took place anyway.

1 Like

How were they closed?
Were there actual barriers?

In all probability it was a total scam. Ignore it.

4 Likes

Having long been disappointed by the lack of progress solving the drunk driving problem, and having been personally affected by the loss of innocent life to drunk drivers, it’s about time we did something as a nation to save innocent lives.

It’s easy to turn a calloused blind eye to people who are killed by drunk drivers if you’ve never been personally affected by such a loss. Unfortunately, I have.

The only thing it looks for are hard braking and hard acceleration. If you brake hard or accelerate hard, you will hear it beep. The rest of the time it does nothing. It does not track your speed or location, at least according to the fine print.

It also records your vehicle speed because that’s part of the safe driving program. Then it wolud have to use this information or GPS to figure out how far you’ve driven. Even if the Insurance company doesn’t collect the location infomation, it still being recorded by the mobile network provider.

If a law could be passed that would provide more tolerance to drunk drivers driving cars, especially small cars and small moped motorcycles, but have a more strict penalty on drunks driving tall vehicles such as trucks and SUVs, I believe it would reduce innocent death by drunk drivers by a lot. If you drive by a bar you’ll see a lot of trucks and SUVs parked there. Look at the news on drunk driver crashes and you’ll see that the drunk who survived was driving a tall vehicle a lot of the time, and the person in the car that they hit died. The freeway wrong way drunk driver accidents often kill both, but in regular streets the difference in survival of a tall vehicle versus car is huge.

Many people take the all or nothing approach to drunk driving enforcement. They don’t pay much attention to the issue, but then when something happens that affects them personally they want to have extreme measures put in place like taking away someone’s driver’s license after a single offense. Neither method works. When a person gets their license taken away for DUI, they just continue to drive illegally. If someone gets a DUI and they lose the right to ride a 49cc moped, how is that helping public safety? I know of people who have no license due to DUI. Since they aren’t even legally allowed to ride a 49cc moped, and their license is suspended for 10 years, if they do drive they’ll buy some SUV type vehicle and drive illegally. If they could be allowed to ride a small motorcycle, and then after a year regain the privilege of driving a small car, it would save so many innocent lives.

1 Like

A web search seems to show that if you exceed the speed limit by 8 mph it will record that.

1 Like

Because that is the predominant vehicle style sold in the US, not because drunks prefer them.

The news I see in my area shows no difference in deaths from cars vs SUVs. Both can be crushed or inverted. I do see more rollovers from SUVs but we have them with cars, too. One I personally saw was a single inverted car off the side of I-75 and a young man on his phone, presumably the driver calling for a tow.

More nonsense from the Snowman . It makes no sense for size penalties as the impaired driver going through a school zone is dangerous no matter what size the vehicle is . Where do you get all these ridiculous ideas ?

3 Likes

By order of the Governor. Law enforcement was supposed to enforce the rule, but many refused and none would make random stops to confirm that the driver was breaking the rules. Virtually impossible to enforce.

2 Likes

I guess you’re right, since we just had a kid hit and killed returning from school at 2 AM in a school zone by a drunk returning from a bar on a 49cc moped going 28 MPH.

Mustangman, here are 9 randomly selected fatal DUI accidents from the news where a drunk driver killed someone who was not in their vehicle. 6 out of 9 are high riding vehicles.

Dodge Ram driven by drunk hits Jeep and kills one. All using seat belts.

Drunk Nissan Sentra driver goes through median hitting Silverado head on. The Silverado rolled and the driver was killed. Seat belt use not specified.

A drunk man in an SUV made a left turn in front of a motorcycle, killing the motorcycle rider and the passenger in the SUV.

Drunk Jeep runs through stop sign and kills someone.

Drunk pickup truck kills pedestrian.

Drunk Volkswagen Golf kills 2 in Mini cooper.

Drunk SUV driver runs red light and kills someone.

Drunk in sedan hits truck towing trailer, causing it to overturn killing the driver.

Drunk pickup hits another vehicle head on and kills someone.

These just show the diversity of fatalities and vehicles that cause them. This does not indict SUVs over cars…Especially the ones involving motorcycles and pedestrians… who would lose regardless of type of motor vehicle.

Especially considering SUVs and trucks comprise 80% of US sales.

In the back parking lot you will see bicycles of those that have DUI convictions.
As far as SUVs, fewer cars are being offered, many mass produced cars have been replaced by SUVs.

We already have that in some states, but it’s by default, not by plan.

It used to be you could ride a 49cc (or less) moped without a license, making them popular among people whose licenses were suspended, but that has changed. Now you need a license to ride just about any moped in any state, but a bicycle with electric assist or a small 2-cycle motor can still get you to your job and/or your probation officer’s office on time.

I don’t think the issue about the kill switch is so much about using it to prevent drunk driving, that seems a good idea as long as driver has already been convicted of DUI, so probable cause applies requiring driver to prove they aren’t drunk before starting car. The problem is, the politicians would think "Since we have that technology now to prevent a driver from starting their vehicle, we might as well use it for … ". Anybody’s guess what they’d think of to bully their citizens into doing.

1 Like

Pedestrian deaths have gone way up along with the increase of tall vehicles on the road.

It was under 55% through 2014, and the average age of a vehicle on the road is something a bit over 10 years old. What are being sold are mostly crossover SUVs. They’re basically shorter minivans. They have slightly higher ground clearance than cars, and they’re exempt from the bumper height and 2.5MPH crash bumper requirement. The front of the hood is only like 6 inches higher than a traditional car. Whether I would classify them as SUVs depends on how high the hood is a foot back from the front, and how much above regulation car bumper height the bumper is. If it’s within about 3 inches it can be considered a heavy car by me. Trucks and regular SUVs are even taller in front.

Correlation, but no proof of causation…

Smart phone use went up in that same time period. Coincidence?

Drunk walking is dangerous, too… And apparently a greater percentage of pedestrians are drunk walking than drivers who hit them. That would seem to indicate the fault is the walker, not the driver.

https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/pedestrian_safety/index.html

Whether YOU would classify them as SUVs doesn’t matter in the least.

And this thread started because you linked truck drivers to DUI…

2 Likes

And don’t forget changes in pedestrian right of way law that seemed to embolden pedestrians, plus ear buds. Remember 6th grade stop look and listen drilled into our little heads?

2 Likes

Like I posted before… you can have the right away and be dead… or give it up and survive.

3 Likes

Please. I tried to delete the political stuff and this is why — it can’t just be left alone if somebody makes a comment. And can we please stop relitigating covid on here? I better start a forum for all the shade tree epidemiologists out there.

4 Likes