Driving prevention = kill switches?

Last winter I got a text about my driving which is tracked by cell phone. I am not registered with any insurance company for this but I would bet the insurance carriers can access it.
It was stated that “You have been driving safely 32% of the time”. So I assume that means they think I am driving unsafely 68% of the time.

So rather than hit the brakes hard I should plow into someone who pulls out from a stop sign or abruptly changes lanes? Or while doing 25 in a 45 I should just hit that deer instead of trying to avoid it? Or plow into a dozen head of cattle in the middle of the highway as I topped a hill…

3 Likes

Have to agree with 100% on that.

Many already passed laws &SCOTUS decisions could be argued to violate the right to an unmolested person, house, papers, and other of life’s accouterments. Forcing folks to take off their shoes at the airport before they can board a plane for example. The big loophole in the 4th is the def’n of “unreasonable” .

I do concur however the kill switches should only be required if there is probable cause, not just b/c someone in gov’t circles wants to force every car to have it.

We’ve already discussed whether police putting marks on your tires for monitoring parking codes violates the 4th. No clear decision. Depends who you ask.

Have to wonder if eventually I’ll have to install a kill switch on my 50 year old truck … lol …

2 Likes

Including a higher likelihood of not at fault collisions is the point here.

I believe On Star has already functioned as a remote kill switch since its introduction.

Some areas (Calif for example I think does this ) requires an ignition interlock device if you’ve been convicted of DUI. Maybe even if you’ve just been accused of DUI. Car won’t start unless you can prove you aren’t under the influence. Not sure how it works though. Seems like such a thing could be easily bypassed.

I understand folks that think it is no big deal and nothing to hide and never do anything wrong. But wrong. Everyone either knowingly or unknowingly violates some law in the thousands of page.

Did you drive somewhere during lockdown, or try to open your business? We could go on and on about the lengths some officials went to to control behavior over the last three years. Some were jailed or fined. Think it would take a pandemic the next time?

I could have been arrested for driving to Iowa for a hair cut. How would they know? On star, cell phone? My obedient wife stopped me but that’s how stupid it was.

1 Like

That’s one way to interpret it. Another way is that if drivers follow at a safe distance there is plenty of time to brake without slamming them on. Everyone has to brake hard once in a while. If someone does it a lot it is a pattern of unsafe driving.

1 Like

Good point. We’ve already discussed here at length what happens if you get pulled over for some violation, one that maybe you didn’t even do. Better have large sums hard cash with you at all times,esp when driving a car.

Yes, I did, several times each week. I can’t speak to conditions in other states, but people were not prohibited from driving their cars in NJ during “lockdown”.

2 Likes

OK , I am going to try to get through to you what a stupid idea that is . People have had large sum of legal private funds confiscated because of the drug problem . If you were to make the officer even suspect that you were planning to use that money for a bribe you will need a really good lawyer.

5 Likes

We’ve had this discussion before but that’s how it was in Minnesota. You could go to the store or attend to other needs but otherwise stay in your room and shut up. And the barber shops were closed in Minnesota but not Iowa or South Dakota. Iowa was closer. I knew one guy that didn’t get a hair cut for a year.

1 Like

People have had large sums confiscated because they were carrying large sums. There are many cases of confiscation of cash and the GREAT difficulty people had in getting it back. A contractor who lost $40K because he was travelling, in the US, to buy a bulldozer or other equipment, in cash.

1 Like

I guess that I have to ask the obvious:
How did you–and others–get to the store?
If you drove, then obviously driving was not prohibited.

Do you really want me or anyone else to believe that Minnesotans were being pulled-over by the cops and questioned as to their destination?

1 Like

Maybe hard to believe, but it is actually possible to cut your own hair. No need to drive anywhere at all. Ask me how I know ? … lol …

2 Likes

Jay Leno tells a story about one time when he visited the White House, while carrying a bunch of cash. He stopped by White House on his way to buying a classic car in another state, the purpose of the cash. He taped the cash to his chest for reasons known only to him. Secret Service asks “what’s that lump under your shirt?” So he has to take off his shirt and show SS what’s taped to his chest, before allowed to enter WW & visit POTUS. It’s funnier when he tells it … lol …

You could drive but your destinations were restricted. Seems crazy now but that’s what those crazy people did. All based on science ya know. No funerals. No church services.

We snuck over to South Dakota and actually ate in a crowded restaurant.

1 Like

I’ve never found it a burden , before or after Covid, to cook my own food and generally avoid restaurants. That way I get the exact food I want, and cooked exactly the way I want it cooked. I enjoy grocerly shopping late a night, after midnight, when I’m the only one in the store. That was the main Covid downer for me, grocery stores closed earlier, 9 pm usually. What? I have to shop at 8 pm? Absurd!!! … lol …

@Beancounter & @jtsanders No sense of humor, ha!
Yes, I do keep my distance.
Here in CA, since the pandemic, road rage is out of control. You have to be careful not to complain of anybody else’s driving or they will do a “brake check” on you, or shoot you.
During the lock down, I don’t think there were any restrictions. I had to be physically present at the hospital every day and did so, including pretty much all weekends. On an occasional off weekend, we took road trips and took advantage of low gas, rental, hotel prices.

1 Like

In Michigan the roads were closed except for food shopping, gas stations and work for essential employees only. My employer gave us forms to give to law enforcement in case we were pulled over stating that we were essential. There were so many exceptions to this mandate, that it was impossible to enforce. I knew of no one that got ticketed. But the roads were eerily empty.

1 Like

I think you are mis-remembering some. We watched the church out there get shut down and fined for attempting to have services. He finally won. I don’t remember which church was brave enough.to fight the health commissioner but it was nationwide news. Then don’t even mention the poor pastor in Canada. They dragged him out of his car to take to jail.

1 Like