Drivers front wheel on 2008 Ford F150

I have a 2008 Ford F-150 4x4 with 162,000 miles on it. The driver’s side front wheel has been getting hot when I drive it for more than 10 miles a trip. When I get out I can “smell” that it’s hot and the rim is very hot tot he touch. I have replaced the front brake pads, rotors, and calipers. I am hearing that the wheel hub assembly could be the culprit as this is somewhat common. Would that be my next step?? I haven’t heard any wheel bearing noise which is usually what happens when the bearing is going bad but I am not sure. Thanks!

You have a rubber brake hose going bad I’d bet. They fail like a check valve. Drive it for 5 miles, if the rotor is hot, crack the bleeder on that brake. If fluid squirts out and then trickles…bad brake hose.

Hint…if one went bad, the rest are not far behind. Plan to do them all.

4 Likes

Thank you. Yes it is rubber. I will definitely check that out.

Flex hose is probably rubber? Vs braided steel with poly lining? That darn flexible part is hard to avoid on brake lines. Your solid rear axle has flex lines too.

Agree with the rubber hose time to change all of them.

Just jack it up and ensure the brakes are indeed dragging first. Then, I agree on the hose replacement. Had that issue myself once…after I changed the calipers and master cylinder to no avail. At least the brakes worked really well after all that.

1 Like