Driver License Renewal and Possible Delays & Deadline Discussion

Also, they might allow you to make an appointment to get the Real ID version of the license. MD does this. I spent about 5 minutes vetting my documents,
Including the wait, less than 5 minutes waiting for a free associate, and about 5 minutes getting my documents copied for their files. I already had a Real ID license, but the feds changed the requirements after I got it. Now I have a really real Real ID. Until they charge the requirements again.

IIRC, they recommend appointments for that expanded service. Currently, that service is only available at a few of the MVC offices, but it will be expanded to all of them over the next few months.

I haven’t had any problems at DMV offices in the north, (“Tax Collector Office” in Florida).

I’ve had a couple colonoscopies. The prep at home is the somewhat unpleasant part. The colonoscopy is probably tougher on the medical staff than on the recipient. I don’t even recall any of it when they are done.

I urge everybody over 50 to schedule one ASAP. Colon cancer kills, but is one of the easiest cancers to stop if caught early. Depending on what they find you will be told how often to return.

The feeling one will get knowing that the procedure was done is well worth any inconvenience. It’s hard to believe that some people wouldn’t think of skipping or delaying an oil change or upgrading their license would delay or skip a colonoscopy.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

2 Likes

+1
Years ago, my secretary’s father was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer, and he only lasted a few months before he died. By this time, almost everyone in the office had already had their first (or second…) colonoscopy, and we urged the secretary to have one done because she was slightly over 50. Her response was…I don’t want to know. :roll_eyes:

Several years later, her mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. All of the women in the office had already begun having Mammograms, and they urged her to… finally have a Mammogram performed. Again, her response was… I don’t want to know. :flushed:

Fast forward about 10 years after my retirement, and I had to attend that woman’s funeral. When I asked her daughter about the cause of her Mom’s death, she told me that her mother had been riddled with cancer–all over her body, including a breast and her colon–and the doctors couldn’t tell where exactly it had originated.

She didn’t want to know…
:anguished:

That is very, very sad. She didn’t want to know until she did know. Then it was too late.

And, I am told that she suffered intense pain.
Very, very sad.
:worried:

Thanks VDC, but I’ve found I can do almost anything I need online now. For the “in person” transactions, one of my car dealer friends usually handles it for me.

NY was the same when I lived there. I’d have to take at least a 1/2 day personal day to either renew my drivers license or car registration. First time I registered my car after moving to NH some 35+ years ago the whole process (license and registration took less then 1/2 hour. I was completely shocked. Over the years - I’ve never spent more then 45 minutes at the DMV or town hall.

Yeah, NH is awesome. Most stuff I can do at our town hall. Process a new title application and even hand over your new plates on the spot. Smaller town so we don’t even have a line. Worst was one person already at the clerk’s window when I showed up. I can do registration online and a few times my stickers came the same day in the mail! When I have gone to the DMV, they are pleasant and the greeter makes sure you have all the right paperwork before giving you a number. Wait time is maybe 15-20 minutes and then goes quick and smooth.

I only go to DMV for drivers license. Registration renewal I can do at the town hall. Only hiccup I had with registration was when I wanted Veteran plates - Town couldn’t issue veteran plates.

Like I mentioned, my town subscribes to the online reg renewal service. Click link on town page, takes you to e-reg website with your town info. Automatically pulls in reg fees and town fees based on plate number. Pay by ACH or credit card. Town sends stickers by USPS. Typically here next day.

CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Tucson DMV people are really nice there

I just renewed my NY drivers license. There are 3 kinds, regular license- you cannot fly with it or enter Canada or Mexico with it, $64.50 and you can renew online or by mail or in person.

Real ID same price as reg but you have to bring passport or birth certificate, proof of any name change like marriage certificate, Proof of SS number and proof of residency ie Tax or utility bills, bank statements etc. You license will have a round seal on it.

Enhanced license, all the proof of a real ID and costs $30 more. You license will have an American Flag on it and you can visit Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean Islands without a passport by land or sea but you can’t fly to them without a passport. All licenses are good for 8 years.

I saved almost $100 by dropping my CDL to a regular license. NY won;t allow you to renew a CDL without a current Dot physical.

You can now make appointments at most NY dmv offices.

As I indicated back when I started this discussion, I opted for the “enhanced” version (star & American flag) with the embedded chip. They sent me a special paper sleeve to keep the license in so that hackers can’t read it on my person.

Curious, which one did you get?
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

I got the enhanced, given my close proximity tho Canada and the fact that I often travel through Canada it would be foolish not to. Also our Passports expire and we have no plans that require us to renew them

I had read that the enhanced license had a star and a flag but mine has only the flag.

Mine only has the star, no flag, it was $10 extra a few years ago

The flag means the license acts kind of like the old passport card - you can travel in Canada and Mexico and some of the Caribbean without a passport as long as you do it by land or sea, not air. It also functions the same as a license with a star - but the one with a star doesn’t give you the CA/MX/Caribbean travel privileges.

1 Like

I thought you lived in FL. Only 4 states currently have Enhanced Drivers Licenses…and FL isn’t one of them.

I wish we had them here in NH. I have a passport, but no one else in my family does.

I don’t know if it still the same but when I lived in Fla. people like CSA part time resident [ aka snowbird’s ] could get a Fla. driver’s license & still keep there license from their home state the Fla. license was only good in Fla.