Driver License Renewal and Possible Delays & Deadline Discussion

I do live in Florida. I live in Florida approximately 1/2 the year and still go north only when it thaws out and the salt trucks are put away. I own a house there. So far all my vehicles are registered and insured there (even the one that lives here 12 months, with the blessing of my insurance company), but eventually they’ll all switch to Florida. It’s kind of tough and unnecessary maintaining 2 residences, at times a PITA. My driver license is not a Florida License, too bad too, Florida helps out permanent residents (especially old ones) with all kinds of breaks on things like property taxes and fishing licenses, etcetera.

Since I own my residence in Florida, it’s insured there (same company, different agency) and I have an Anna Maria Island library card, and a couple other perks, ha, ha. I still have to vote through my northern residence, though.

We will become permanent Florida residents soon and I’ll enjoy selling the northern property where I’m responsible to do everything. Here they hire everything out and all I do is play and relax.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

What about primaries? Are you an absentee voter, or are Michigan primaries late enough that you are back?

I just received my application for an absentee ballot for the March 10th Presidential Primary, yesterday. It was postmarked on January 21, sent to my northern address, forwarded to Florida on January 31, and arrived here February 7. Pretty quick service, eh? :smirk:
CSA

Wife and I recently went in to get our California Real ID driver’s licenses as our licenses were expiring.

Having heard horror stories about people waiting all day and being treated badly, we logged on to the DMV website to start the process and we arrived an hour before DMV opened. We discovered that the gates to the DMV parking lot are not opened until 45 minutes before the DMV opens.

By the time DMV opened, there were about 50 people in line outside in the cold. 10 minutes before opening, a very nice lady came out and went down the line making sure everyone had everything they needed.

We dealt with 3 more DMV staff inside and they were all extremely nice and efficient. We were out the door in about 30 minutes after the doors opened, and we got our new CA driver’s licenses with a Real ID gold bear in the corner about 10 days later in the mail.

Got mine last May. Checked the local DMV website for appointments and found them fully booked (San Francisco Bay Area, lots of people here). Selected another on the coast, a 60mi. drive, and made a nice day of it. The people management system at the DMV worked flawlessly, the three or four employees I interacted with were all friendly and helpful (our usual experience the past dozen years, their attitudes have improved tremendously), was out of there in ~ 30 min. Only complaint is I look older in the picture.

Not sure how that will help the person in Florida.

1 Like

Which person in Florida?

I’m a person in Florida and I’m the person who actually started this discussion back in October, 2019. There’s been well over 100 responses and it’s been quite informative.

When I began this discussion I intended to welcome all responses, from all states, and I still do. Please keep them coming as we approach an important deadline in October, 2020.

The closer we come to the deadline the greater the chances for longer lines and delays, especially when millions of air travelers find out they need better I.D. (Real I.D.) for upcoming travel.

Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles logo
“Does Florida issue REAL ID licenses and ID cards?”
Yes, Florida began issuing REAL ID licenses and ID cards on January 4, 2010."

Enhanced Licenses like the one I got are a different issue, and possibly are not available in every state, yet. Eventually these states should get onboard.
CSA

In my specific case, my passport is valid for another few years. I’ll just wait on all this “gotta get it by October” Hurry up and rush silliness to die down.

I’m not quite sure I’d describe it as “silliness” for most folks who fly. In your case I guess you can wait because you are compliant for travel, but TSA is fearful of the potential chaos beginning October 1st. I’m pretty sure the airlines are monitoring the situation, too.

“For Real ID start now. It takes time.”

“For those born in the U.S. who don’t already have a Real ID compliant identification, such as a U.S. passport, and who can’t obtain a state- or territory-issued birth certificate, obtaining Real ID complaint identification, necessary to be able to fly domestically in the U.S. for business or pleasure in the future, will be extremely difficult.”

https://www.wthr.com/article/want-to-fly-after-2020-get-a-new-secure-id
“It’s a voluntary program,” Lacy said. “You don’t have to upgrade your ID to Real ID, you just won’t be able fly or go into a government installation after October of 2020 without having the star on your license.

https://www.tsa.gov/real-id

As I’ve said, I went to my DMV to inquire about Real I.D/ and enhanced driver licenses. They said, “No problem, just bring your birth certificate and some money.” When I went with my official birth certificate I’ve had all of my life they would not accept it (note that it was the same document that was accepted to obtain Social Security benefits!). I had to obtain an application form from my state/county of birth, fill it out, purchase a money order, and mail it. Then I waited for the “official” official certificate to come in the mail. Then I went back to the DMV and got the enhanced license. It takes time and will get much worse when the deadline approaches and people are trying to get birth records and DMV offices get crowded. Sometimes the wheels of government turn slowly.
CSA

. Sometimes the wheels of government turn slowly.

Sometimes that should read all the time.

Well I guess I’m just going to do it but not today. Got license plate renewals yesterday and in there was a flier on what documents were needed and so on. So I collected the documents together anyway. I just got a hair cut though and my barber was really distraught so got a little carried away. I’m going to wait a week or two for it to grow out a little before committing to a five year license picture.

If you can get an appointment, do so. There was a story on national news last night about how long the lines are even now with the October deadline approaching. It isn’t really urgent if you don’t plan to fly or never have to enter a government building through a security post. It’s also not a problem if you have a different government ID or a passport.

It was an attempt at humor. :smile:

CSA
:palm_tree: :smile: :palm_tree:

1 Like

I wonder what they will do if you are subpoenaed to a federal courthouse and don’t have a real ID?

1 Like

You wouldn’t be allowed in and then a warrant can be issued for your failure to appear.

Which you won’t be able to do because you cannot enter a federal building. There is no law that I know of the a citizen is required to keep himself eligible to enter a federal building.

There isn’t, but some judges may not Brook repeated excuses for your failure to appear and hold you in contempt.i know of an individual who was held in contempt and locked up for years for refusing a judge’s order to disclose the location of his assets to his ex-wife.

Real-ID will be required to enter certain federal buildings…not ALL federal buildings. A Federal Court house is not one of the required federal buildings.