Driver License Renewal and Possible Delays & Deadline Discussion

The no fly list has errors, a bud with the universal drivers license got put on the no fly list because he failed his physical for a pilots license renewal, He got his pilot license eventually, not sure about the no fly list.
BOOGUS!

Read link below.

Taken directly from that link.

“States also must conduct background checks and training for employees involved in the document production and issuance processes and retain and store applicant photographs and other source documents.”

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/04/16/2019-07565/agency-information-collection-activities-real-id-minimum-standards-for-drivers-licenses-and

Oh yes they did.

A lot of background checks are now on-line.

Note that the background checks are for employees, not customers. Maybe they did a cursory background check on my passport 30 years ago, I don’t know. But they never sent the guys in suits around to talk to the neighbors like they did once. I do believe that it ends up being a back door national ID card since legal status is checked. So they got (edit before @VDCdriver catches me, their not there) their way after all.

1 Like

I’ve had security clearance background checks, and they never sent anyone around. Background check just means checking the persons background to make sure this person meets the requirements. Much of this stuff is on-line.

My company doesn’t require us to get a security clearance, but because of our contracts with our government and other governments - all our employees must be US citizens and can’t have dual citizenship. Pass a drug test, and no felony convictions. With the exception of the drug test - all is done on line.

When I coached Baseball in our towns rec program - all coaches had to go through a background check. And about every other year we get someone who’s a convicted sex offender trying to become a coach. Again, all done on line.

Yeah you can do that kind of a background check on a computer. 50 years ago the Sheriff did one one me and it wasn’t on the computer.

I just hope they find a real use for the ID’s anyway. I guess I have probably now sided with the need for a national ID, but I still think a guy should have the right to live incognito if he wants to in the good ole US of A.

You can. But just won’t be able to fly or go into some secure federal buildings. Our neighbors don’t plan on getting a real-id, since the wife is afraid of flying. They either drive or go by train. As of yet you don’t need a Real ID to take a train.

My SS card states: ‘For social security and tax purposes - not for identification’.

Isn’t it simpler to just bring your passport when traveling?

Mine was issued in 1954 before planes and airports and says the same thing. Interesting though in Minnesota you have to bring your card in order to get an enhanced license. Maybe things have changed in 65 years?

Some of you folks know how to push my buttons on a fine Saturday afternoon and get me going. On the back it says to be sure to call them right away in the event of a death. So I called them to report my dad’s death and collect the $175 benefit. She said you have to make an appointment to call us. I said huh? I’m already calling you. But you have to make an appointment. I said keep your $175, who needs it? I have some mercy on these poor folks that need to deal with the public though. In my youth I got a call once where the guy wanted us to accept a collect call which was verbotten. I said sorry we can’t accept collect calls. Then he told the operator he wouldn’t be able to return the $3000 that he had gotten in mistake. In my elder years I would have said “sure” we’ll take the call and to H with those A-H- knuckle dragging peanut counters. Fire me if you’ve got the guts. As I was once told “no jury would ever convict”.

Ah, I feel better now. On to cleaning out the water softener.

More simple than taking my Real ID Enhanced Driver License out of my pocket? I don’t think so…

I always carry my license.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

2 Likes

I will exhaust every alternative I have to avoid visiting a NJ DMV office ever again. I’d rather have a colonoscopy without anasthesia.

1 Like

My dmv experience was much easier I hope, looking forward, not to my first colonoscopy.

The DMV here is just one of the many “joys” of living in NJ.

1 Like

It’s been forty years since I lived in NJ but well I recall the dubious joys of the NJ DMV. That’s where I learned to drive and got my first drivers license.

And yet, in Connecticut, I saw a sign at the local DMV advising motorists that if THEY are rude or “seem threatening” towards DMV employees, the motorists can be taken into custody by DMV security.

I’m just curious, what Mustangman comment are you referencing?
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

@common_ Sense_ Answer: His post was from Oct 2019

It’s one of the easiest and pain free things you will ever do. The intestinal cleanout the day before is more uncomfortable, and mostly because some of the fluids taste bad.

2 Likes

Good news!
There hasn’t been a NJ DMV office for over a decade.
Have you never noticed that the name of the agency has been The NJ Motor Vehicle Commission for… a long time?
:wink:

That being said, if I have an MVC transaction that can’t be done online, I go to one particular MVC location where the employees are both polite and efficient, and where I have never waited in line for more than a few minutes. On my last visit, I timed the process, and I was out of there in 11 minutes.

When I need to have my car inspected every 2 years, I go to the state inspection station located next to that MVC office. The longest that it ever took me for inspection there was 20 minutes, and that was because the old BMW in front of me had a wonky diagnostic connector, and it took many tries before they were able to make proper contact with that connector.

If you want to know the location of this stress-free MVC location, just send me a direct message.
:+1:

Seems kind of vague, doesn’t it? And unfair. Threatening, I understand but they can be rude to me and if I’m rude back, I get a ride to the police station? Seems another good reason not to live in Connecticut.

3 Likes