Driver door speaker in Outback

Great list, Triedaq-
Sorry to say, I didn’t save my stepmother’s H.H. Scott integrated tube amplifier, it had switchable equalization for the turntable (must have been before RIAA became the standard). Would be neat to have now…

Grommes? That’s a new one on me!

Wow, Grommes is still in business in the US:
http://www.grommeshifi.com/

History of Lansing speaker…

Lansing speaker was founded by James B Lansing. Built one of the first true high fidelity theater systems. Lansing speaker was then bought by Altec and formed Altec Lansing. James Lansing left Altec after 5 years and started his own company. He first called it J.B. Lansing, but was sued by Altec and lost. So he changed the name to JBL. Shortly after that he committed suicide, but the company JBL went on and is now the largest professional speaker company in the world.

The rest of those companies have long gone. As with most of the best audio companies of old.

McIntosh (Binghamton NY)…while still designs and builds some of the very best audio equipment in the world was bought out by Clarion corp in 1990. Then in 2007 Clarion sold them to D&M Holdings (Tokyo Japan). McIntosh has had the reputation of being one of the best if not THEE best producers of high-end home sound equipment for decades. Their speakers were considered excellent too. While mainly in the home market…their amps were rugged enough for Pro-Audio. In fact the Grateful Dead have been using McIntosh for years. I always wanted to own a McIntosh system…but they are very very expensive…and I like staying married.

MikeInNH–thank you for the last post on Lansing speakers. I remember going through the Allied Radio catalog and seeing J.B. Lansing speakers and Altec Lansing speakers. I didn’t realize the connection.

texases–thank you for your link to Grommes. I bought a used Grommes AM/FM tuner that I connected to a used Dynaco preamplifier and power amplfier that I also purchased second hand. This was back in the 1960s and money was tight for me. I found used high fidelity equipment back then to be real bargain.

I doubt Boston Acoustics is still in its original new England speaker only form. But, they still make competitive speakers, though in reality, with common driver sources and computer technology, who can’t ? Like most speaker companies, even those of familiar names, if they aren’t assembled abroad, their components are. Bose uses speakers built in Mexico from parts from who knows where. Most hi fi components are like TVs and all other electronics. Let’s shuffle the names around, keep the consumer confused and market products by hype; something like cars…
Would you believe that Sony and Panasonic may be scaling back making making TVs…with the Japanese makers taking a Chinese hit just like the rest of us.

Most hi fi components are like TVs and all other electronics.

Most hi-fi components that you and I can afford.

The hi-end companies have been pretty stable. Mainly because they have such a small market not a whole lot of competition there.

Ah yes, the market that considers Martin Logan low fi . I can only dream.