Drive on complete flat tire for one or two miles. Should I replace the tire?

I’m not sure the tire shop is the best judge if this. A loose valve core implies that they didn’t tighten it properly. They installed the tires and should be responsible for everything associated with mounting. As such, they should be responsible for replacing the tire at their expense if it is damaged. They might be straight with you, but they have a couple hundred bucks at stake.

3 Likes

I have worked with some very talented development drivers. People I believe could almost drive over a quarter and tell you heads up… or down!

I see 2 problems with a taxi driver worrying about this…

1. I have some doubt about feeling the 1/2 psi and
  2. Why does that even matter enough to constantly adjust the pressure? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
2 Likes

It’s a Canadian Market car.

The number of sidewall plies could also make a difference. I might feel a bit better if your tires are 2 ply sidewalls instead of one.

You should take CapriRacer’s comment seriously. He’s a tire engineer.

3 Likes

Good to know. Yes. I am taking it seriously. Thanks @CapriRacer for your comment.

The tire is Goodride RP26 (205/55/R16). There is some information online (for example, https://www.goodridetire.ca/tire-detail/rp26/138) but I cannot find any information about sidewall ply.

Sidewall plies are not normally listed on tire specs. It should be on the side of the tires you have.
Such as 4 ply/2 ply sidewall or 4 ply/1 ply sidewall, etc.
My gut feeling is single ply.

Just checked. Yes it is single ply. It says: ‘Tread Pliers: 1 polyester + 2 steel + 1 Nylon Sidewall ply: 1 polyester’.

Here is the tire:

From the picture I don’t see anything too serious but there is also that not known factor as to what may, or may not, be going on inside the rubber itself along with the unknown of how long it may have been in use underinflated before going completely flat.

Since the bulk of your driving seems to be low speed, short distance I will just advise that you keep an eye on it for sidewall bulges, cracks, etc.

@ok4450 Thanks a lot. Yes. My speed then should be no more than 60km/h (37mph).

We also can’t see the other side of the tire facing the inner wheel well.

How can someone always drive at 37 mph ? The speed limit by our local Walmart is 50 mph .

Jonathan, you are worried about this tire and I can’t see the tire so just replace it .

2 Likes

just a thought. back in 2016 i had bought new tires for my daughters leased car. she was going out of state for college. a week after I had the tires put on, she hit a small pothole and I noticed a slight belt shift in one of the tires.
I could not let her go out of state knowing that. Being the tire was brand new and her car did not come with a spare. I decided to go buy another rim, mount the tire with the belt shift on it and use it as spare.
If your vehicle comes with a full-size spare and that tire that got the flat has more tread on it than the one on your spare, you can put it on and get a new tire to put on your vehicle. remember a spare is only to be used for a short time until you can get to a tire shop.

2 Likes

@VOLVO-V70 I am at this small city where all streets speed limit is 40, 50, 60 (25mph, 31mph, 37 mph). Only out of the city can be 50mph. Thanks for your advice.

Yes. That’s the safest method imo.

5 Likes

I would trust the (hopefully honest) tire shop more than the sight unseen opinion of internet strangers.

2 Likes

My own preference would be to replace the tire.

2 Likes

First thing, check ALL FOUR tires for sidewall damage just in case they rotated the tires for you.

I am having a little trouble with the valve core story here. If the valve core was left just slightly loose, it would have started leaking from the beginning. It could take quite a while to leak down but this wouldn’t just suddenly let the air out six months later.

Did you have the vehicle in a shop to do some work recently where the valve core may have been removed then?

Did you add air or have someone add air that day or the day before?

Is it possible that someone from work pranked you? Got enemies?

This warped rim is also very suspicious to me. Is this the rim in the picture or have you replaced it already?

That rim does not show any evidence of being warped. If it is the same rim, how did they show you that it was warped?

Has anyone checked to see if any lug nuts are loose? I’d do that ASAP if not.

1 Like

looking at the picture again, it looks like a wheel cover over a black steel rim. I would guess it would have been damaged riding on a flat tire. at least the edge of the wheel cover.

The wheel in the picture is new so the tire shop had the opportunity to inspect the inside sidewall for damage while replacing the bent wheel.

Look how many people don’t trust a tire shop to inspect a tire but trust those Chinese tires.

1 Like

That was my thought as well. Goodride? Black Lion? Douglas? Are those names that are associated with quality and long life?

2 Likes